Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the pictures too and indeed that was what the 50's and early 60's looked like for some people. It seems some posters cannot empathize with those who were less fortunate at that time in our history. I get it, this post was not intended to be a downer, but the idea that there are posters who cannot keep their mouths shut when they see a post that doesn't agree with their idea of what should be posted irks me to say the least.

Respected Contributor

How about Christmastime in the 50s? Trees were real and put up one to two weeks before. I remember my Mother whipping up Ivory Flakes  by hand before spray snow came in the can. What a mess !. Tinsel was not plastic. Christmas cards overflowed on the wall.  We received one nice gift ,one doll or one watch. Homemade cookies that lasted forever. Nuts in a bowl to crack. Old fashioned ribbon and hard candy.  Homemade popcorn balls.Saving large wrapping paper to reuse. Paper chains for Christmas Trees.

Rubber boots worn over your shoes. All snoveling by hand.  Hanging clothes outside that froze stiff  washed with Maytag wringer/washing machines. Ironing everything with cooked starch.

Gifts to send were wrapped in brown paper and my job was to hold the string to tie a tight Knot. There were Caroling parties and Sledding Parties. Schools had Christmas music, not Holiday music. 

As others said, Every era has good and bad aspects. I bet some of you have more to add and regional traditions.

Respected Contributor

I grew up in the fifties. So grateful to have all the memories that you have all shared. My favorite was the screened porch with the chaise lounge where I played and read. Everyone got along so well. The nicest neighbors. Oh my dear brother teased all the girls and wasn't aloud in their yards. Many thoughts are popping in my head. Actually I have enjoyed all my years. Of course sad things happen but that is part of life. 

Super Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

How about Christmastime in the 50s? Trees were real and put up one to two weeks before. I remember my Mother whipping up Ivory Flakes  by hand before spray snow came in the can. What a mess !. Tinsel was not plastic. Christmas cards overflowed on the wall.  We received one nice gift ,one doll or one watch. Homemade cookies that lasted forever. Nuts in a bowl to crack. Old fashioned ribbon and hard candy.  Homemade popcorn balls.Saving large wrapping paper to reuse. Paper chains for Christmas Trees.

Rubber boots worn over your shoes. All snoveling by hand.  Hanging clothes outside that froze stiff  washed with Maytag wringer/washing machines. Ironing everything with cooked starch.

Gifts to send were wrapped in brown paper and my job was to hold the string to tie a tight Knot. There were Caroling parties and Sledding Parties. Schools had Christmas music, not Holiday music. 

As others said, Every era has good and bad aspects. I bet some of you have more to add and regional traditions.

@Gorgf wrote:

Absolutely loved your post!!!!!  Brought back so many wonderful memories for me.  Loved those days.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Every decade has pro/cons.

Every generation has pro/cons.

It's disheartening to reminisce about a decade when that same

decade hurt so many people. If you weren't killed in the Korean War

or lived your life in an Iron Lung among many other things,

I guess the 50s were just peachy. 

76C99124-5B46-4F08-BEA1-1372A8935F5D.jpeg

141434CA-3140-4843-8E58-831C1B1C3081.jpeg

Well,  I chose to dwell on the good. I will let you dwell on the bad.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I would venture a guess that most people of color wouldn't be interested in going back to the 50's.

That's probably true for some Asians living here back in the '50s. Not a good time for them either. Life was not simple for any immigrant or non-white person back then and that remains the same today.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting the photos; so glad to have been a child of the 50's for a million reasons.  Love the pink stove, and I'll bet that wife made the pie from scratch.  We have elderly family friend who built her ranch house in 1957.  Kitchen appliances were turquoise blue.  ALL those major appliances are still very much alive and working!  Yes they have needed many repairs and some use-what-you-can-find parts, but repairmen love coming to my friend's home to work on those turquoise appliances.

Those were the days......."See the USA in your Chevrolet; America is asking you to call.  Drive your Chevrolet through the USA; America's the greatest land of all."

Esteemed Contributor

For sure it was not simpler for women relegated to staying home with simple appliances.

Anyone else remember coal furnaces in the basement which had to fed?  Wringer washers?  Freezers that had to be defrosted?  Ovens that had to cleaned?

Super Contributor

I grew up in the 50's also and I'm so thankful I was born in that time.

So many happy times (as well as sad) but as 1 poster stated that's just life.

Times were so different.  Parents could let their kids play outside and not have to worry.  People had respect for those in authority.  So many things that are long gone.  As for me, I would love to go back to that time again when life was so much simpler.  Anyway I have many happy memories of those days.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee   Sad but true.  I have to say my parents tried to teach us that everyone was the same. I remember when I was in the sixth grade there was one black girl. No one talked to her. I always did . It didn't matter to me. Sadly she quit school. I realize that some things don't change.