Honored Contributor

@roxxy1 

thanks for the pictures!

WOW things were sure different in the era I was born in!

Hard to imagine!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Life in the 50's

[ Edited ]

If we had to go back I doubt most of us would want to. People lived on a shoestring . THey didn't have many of the material comforts we take for granted

Health care was really not very good, nor dental care. There weren't cures for many things. Cancer was almost always a death sentence

They are giving us an idealized picture of what life was like back then

It is a sweet memory, and most of it isn't the way it really was.

Honored Contributor

I was there -  it was simpler, but like most nostalgia pictures, we're seeing the chosen, stliized pieces.  Not everyone lived the life they show.  Not much in any of those shots show my experience.  I'm not complaining, but where are the homeless who begged the meal my mother handed them on our back steps or the kids in hand-me-downs, the unpaved streets, men putting chains on their tires so they could drive a little easier in the snow.  Cleaned-up simple looks ideal -  true simple is more complex.

Honored Contributor

Sure seemed much simpler? it was all an illusion. One that some seem to believe so I won't burst their bubble.

Esteemed Contributor

My 99-yr-old dad still uses the torquoise gas stove he bought for his house decades ago.  Products were built to last back then -- not fall apart in a few months.    I wore my skate key around my neck on the same chain I wore my house key.   Never had to wear knee pads or a helmet to roller skate or ride a bike -- and I'm still here!  Walked or rode my bike all over town unsupervised, and nobody reported my parents of abuse or neglect.  

Different times.  Not necessarily better.     

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Life in the 50's

[ Edited ]

There isn't much point of posting  if you can't say how you feel, without  being insulted by other people 

Calling posters names is really so childish.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Honored Contributor

I love the architectural and furnishing style from that time. The colors used are really nice. Mid Century Modern is a great look to this day. And some of the advertising is truly lush.

But these pictures don't fully represent the time for everyone. Simplicity is positive. But Limitation is the negative side of too much simplicity. Life was simpler back then partly because opportunity and behavior were limited and strictly structured based on a rigid, brutally enforced, demographic hierarchy. And that was an improvement on how it had been even 10-20 years before!

So, I much prefer today. Relative complexity, ambiguity, mess, and all. I would also bet that in the future, idealized advertising images from today will be used to represent our time. And everyone in the future will be nostalgic for how simple things appeared to be back in 2019.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I love the architectural and furnishing style from that time. The colors used are really nice. Mid Century Modern is a great look to this day. And some of the advertising is truly lush.

But these pictures don't fully represent the time for everyone. Simplicity is positive. But Limitation is the negative side of too much simplicity. Life was simpler back then partly because opportunity and behavior were limited and strictly structured based on a rigid, brutally enforced, demographic hierarchy. And that was an improvement on how it had been even 10-20 years before!

So, I much prefer today. Relative complexity, ambiguity, mess, and all. I would also bet that in the future, idealized advertising images from today will be used to represent our time. And everyone in the future will be nostalgic for how simple things appeared to be back in 2019.

Very eloquently stated, @Porcelain .

Respected Contributor

One of the things i think of .. usually when I am watching a TV show from

that era or depicting that era is the cell phone ....can you imagine today

having to use a pay phone ... had to hope the person was home and

no answering machines ....OMG ....