Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Horrible time for women and there is nothing about that era that can make up for that.

You got that right.  Can you count on your hands the amount of women rushed in to marriage at 16 because her boyfriend got her pregnant.  The labeled innocent children illegitimate.  As though they were not equal.  Someone of shame. How many poor women worked in the 1950's factory work and paid so poorly?  The hypocrisy was outrageous.  The 1950's were evil times.

Respected Contributor

I was born in 1958 and grew up in the 60s and 70s but I can relate to just about every picture here. Our family used to eat dinner together, all 7 of us, every night. We played Monopoly as a family, and went on outings. In Massachusetts, my father was a phone company lineman. He was in the woods a lot working and would find old "cellar holes" where houses once were. On Saturday's we would go "bottle digging" .  He would take us to a cellar hole and we would dig for artifacts and old bottles. We had hundreds of old bottles. He taught us how to look at the bottle to see if it was hand made or machine made, which indicated the age of the bottle. My father was a cool guy, a history buff, and he spent all of his free time with us kids. It was always an adventure. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I wasn't around for the 50's and so while I can't testify as to whether or not they were the 'simpler' nirvana some remember them as being or merely just that nostalgia is almost always viewed through a soft lens, I can say that given the nightmare we're living with today, I think I might be willing to go back and give them a whirl... Smiley Wink

Hey, @stevieb, how did you find this months-old thread?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

ooooh I do love those cars. And a pink stove! I think of QVC, with their passion for offering us color choices and just know if they sold stoves they would offfer us a pink choice. LOL

Respected Contributor

You couldn't pay me to go back to the 1950s.