Valued Contributor

I just turned 70 but I'm really just 69+1.Cat LOL  When I was young (when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth), having a child out of wedlock was just about unthinkable.  Girls were sent away to have their babies and then were forced to put them up for adoption.  Weddings were rushed and the baby was 'premature.'  Then, of course, there were the illegal, back alley, often deadly abortions.

Times have changed in all areas of society since then, for better and for worse.  While I was blessed with a very wonderful husband (now deceased) and a great marriage, such is not the case for everyone.  Our son grew up in a home filled with love and respect.  Back then, divorce was looked down upon as a failure so many people stayed together.  They weren't happy and neither were the children.  In today's society, it is very common for people to be in committed relationship without that 'piece of paper,' and to create the miracle of children born out of that love and committment.  As long as people are able to support those precious gifts from God and are not living off my tax dollar, God bless them.  It's not my business and not my place to be judgemental as to how people choose to live their lives unless I'm forced to pay for these children.

May God bless Liam, Stacy, and all the precious little ones.   docsgirl

Respected Contributor

Re: Liam - Baby #2?

[ Edited ]

@docsgirl wrote:

I just turned 70 but I'm really just 69+1.Cat LOL  When I was young (when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth), having a child out of wedlock was just about unthinkable.  Girls were sent away to have their babies and then were forced to put them up for adoption.  Weddings were rushed and the baby was 'premature.'  Then, of course, there were the illegal, back alley, often deadly abortions.

Times have changed in all areas of society since then, for better and for worse.  While I was blessed with a very wonderful husband (now deceased) and a great marriage, such is not the case for everyone.  Our son grew up in a home filled with love and respect.  Back then, divorce was looked down upon as a failure so many people stayed together.  They weren't happy and neither were the children.  In today's society, it is very common for people to be in committed relationship without that 'piece of paper,' and to create the miracle of children born out of that love and committment.  As long as people are able to support those precious gifts from God and are not living off my tax dollar, God bless them.  It's not my business and not my place to be judgemental as to how people choose to live their lives unless I'm forced to pay for these children.

May God bless Liam, Stacy, and all the precious little ones.   docsgirl

1000 X Heart

Honored Contributor

We are all entitled to our own moral standards. Don't understand why some of you need to get so nasty with others who disagree with you.

Respected Contributor

Who was nasty?

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@tropics21 wrote:

They need to get married for the sake of her two children from a previous marriage and because of the two children they will have

IMO each person should determine for himself or herself what he or she needs.  It's really nobody else's business what someone needs or doesn't need to do, esp. someone not in the situation itself.

Oh, heck no.  It's a great idea to have multiple children out of wedlock!

How old fashioned!

Hyacinth

How very judgemental of you!

Society has changed a lot since the 1950s.  You are imposing your morality on someone else.

What's right and wrong really doesn't change.  Whether it's the 1950's or 2016.

My OPINION is that children do better (and social studies bear this out) in a 2 parent, married, family.  They feel more secure, and children raised by 2 parent families are at a great economic advantage. 

I know some things just "happen" in life.  But, living together, with one child and making a 2nd while not married isn't just "happening."  I think WOMEN put themselves at a huge disadvantage by making kids without the legality of marriage.

We all have an opinion, and that is mine.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

It's a matter of some people who don't like any opinion other than their own object to someone stating a belief/opinion.  It's as simple as that. It's about intolerance.

Honored Contributor

it might have been nice to keep this as a congratulatory thread to celebrate the birth of a new baby......to share in the parents and families happiness.

a separate thread could have been used to discuss "non-traditional" families.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

it might have been nice to keep this as a congratulatory thread to celebrate the birth of a new baby......to share in the parents and families happiness.

a separate thread could have been used to discuss "non-traditional" families.

Anyone who wants to do that is welcome to congratulate the unwed parents on facebook.