Trusted Contributor

He was here this morning...actually there were three...!

5301B2A2-A4F0-4A20-8440-60251A4747EC.jpeg

Lewis's woodpecker is a large North American species of woodpecker which ornithologist Alexander Wilson named after Meriwether Lewis, one of the explorers who surveyed the areas bought by the United States of America as part of the Louisiana Purchase and discovered this species of bird.

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman,

I've never seen that one before! He is beautiful! We have a lot in our woods, mostly ones with some red and black in them that I've seen.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@on the bay   They just showed up last yr...I should probably clean the dining room window...I'd get a better shot...lol...DW

Respected Contributor

Re: Lewis’s Woodpecker

[ Edited ]

@dancingwoman 

Beautiful bird, thanks for posting!  I live in the midwest and have seen red-headed and pileated woodpeckers, also Flickers.  This is a new one for me, and wonderful.

ETA:  Also Hairy Woodpeckers, very small.

Trusted Contributor

99B8BFBE-E5BA-44F5-83EB-7B78E80E76EB.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman    Lewis' Woodpecker is a showy little devil and you took a great picture of him/her. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

All of my woodpeckers are very shy and I don't have a window to watch them much less get a pic.  There is a window behind my seed feeder but dit has screening, so even if it were clean, I couldn't get a good picture.  Plus, the cheap windows in this sunroom addition to the house (here when we bought it) I'm actually afraid to open to clean.  Hubby had to replace the catch on one this year just to keep it closed.  Brrr.

Respected Contributor

Since we live in the woods, I get to hear woodpeckers going at our big old trees.  Love the sound.  We have the big variety here and a couple others.  Need to look them up and educate myself.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Trusted Contributor

All the birds are hungry this morning...DH had to fill the feeders again... We had a dusting of new snow...DW..

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman Thank you! The bird is beautiful and I've read a number of books about Lewis and Clark so always interested in tid bits about them!