Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids   DH has read many books on Lewis and Clark also.  We thought that fact was interesting also...DW

Honored Contributor

dancingwoman, thank you for posting a photo (and additional photos) of this fascinating variety of woodpecker.  I'd never heard of it before.  Last year (I think), I posted on the forum regarding an unusual woodpecker I'd seen for the first time in my yard, and someone responded that it was a pileated woodpecker. 

Nature fascinates.

Honored Contributor

@Jk9 wrote:

Since we live in the woods, I get to hear woodpeckers going at our big old trees.  Love the sound.  We have the big variety here and a couple others.  Need to look them up and educate myself.  

The same with me ,i have woods all around me ,i love hearing them,don't know exactly why,there is just something about them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

He's a beauty!  We don't get that type here, AFAIK.  Beautiful pic!

I mostly see the ones called Northern Flicker.  The boys have beautiful red on them and the girls, of course, have brown.    Girls in the bird communities just get the drab.  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

We had a woodpecker when we lived on a large wooded lot on a lake. It pecked at the cedar shakes on the back of our house, and we had to replace the cedar shakes on the back exterior.

From a nearby tree, my husband hung a big plastic owl and 2 aluminum pie plates that made a loud bang when they hit each other or the tree in a breeze. Eventually, the woodpecker moved to trees near the front of the house. He was more beautiful there.