Honored Contributor

Re: Letter carrier food drive

i was surprised. we actually received a postcard in the mail yesterday.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

It's this coming Saturday. DH & I will be volunteering to collect as we have for about the last 4 years.We always get assigned to the area near our town that is all little farmettes where they raise / board horses. We see some real beauties. I take a sack of apples with me to feed those who come over to the fence and allow me to pet their nose.I once got to ride a beautiful pinto mare up from the road to the owner's house while he got me a bag of food and then ride back to the car. I wish I'd have had time to ride her all day. i grew up around horses and I enjoy this volunteer opportunity every year.

Honored Contributor

So, no one in my area received any kind of notice.  I'm not surprised.

I live in what (I guess is considered "rural").  They are one or more acre lots and the poor mail carriers barely have room for all of the packages they have to deliver.

Respected Contributor

No postcard here. Thanks @gidgetgh for the reminder.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

So, no one in my area received any kind of notice.  I'm not surprised.

I live in what (I guess is considered "rural").  They are one or more acre lots and the poor mail carriers barely have room for all of the packages they have to deliver.

It was an issue for the postmen who had to try to stuff everything in their truck with the mail - so now it is mostly done by volunteers who work with the carriers. Usually they give us the carrier's cell phone # & give them ours so we can co ordinate meeting up to transfer what ever they have picked up.Also - in our town there is one rather dangerous street so the carriers usually will get behind you and follow you so the person who is getting out of the car to get the items doesn't get hit by a car.

Honored Contributor

We notified our carrier we have our food donation ready; she is planning to pick it up on Thursday.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up.  I did get the postcard this morning.  Went over to the $1 store where Libby canned vegetables are on sale 2 for $1.  So for $10 I was able to stuff 2 bags with 20 cans of veggies.  And yes, I checked the expiration dates and they are good for another year!  This is such a nice community activity.  I may check with my regular mailman and see whether he'd like the bags before Saturday.  That's a good idea.

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I don't think our post office participates in that anymore, I think there was an incident.

=====

Not sure ours does either, but I don't think we had any incidents. Maybe just a lack of interest.

Honored Contributor

If I didn't get a postcard, do you think that means my post office doesn't participate?

Honored Contributor

We got our postcard today!  Glad we are in town this year, because some years we've had to catch the carrier earlier.