Honored Contributor

Re: Letter I Got About Selling A House

@RedTop wrote:

I don't care how legitimate it might be, there is no way I would consider selling a house to someone who is finding potential properties thru obituaries!   

They also get the information from the court when the will is probated.

Honored Contributor

it all depends on what a seller is looking for.  If it is a real dump with a lot of repairs to be made before most buyers would even consider it,   and/or  the seller just wants FAST CASH and is not concerned about getting THE BEST DEAL  it can be a fast  no trouble sale that works for the seller and the  person buying it. 

My husband got many of these offers on his mothers house when she passed.  He still  just went through a realtor... and the property sold in two days even though it had upgrades and minor repairs needed.   The person that bought it was one of those people who fixes them up and resells them.    He made about $150,000 over what he bought it for after fixing it up and reselling it a couple of months later.   Not a bad investment. 

Honored Contributor

After my Grandmother's funeral, the family went to her house to visit. We no sooner walked into the house and her phone started to ring. It was realtor's wanting to list/buy the house. 

They finally took the phone off the hook. 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I don't care how legitimate it might be, there is no way I would consider selling a house to someone who is finding potential properties thru obituaries!   

@RedTop At this point in my life, I'd sell one to anybody who offered THE price I would have to have to get rid of it.  A sitting empty house can drain you financially and worry you to pieces about getting rid of it and keeping people out of it, and hail from un-roofing it, the pipes from freezing, the insurance and taxes paid, etc. 

It's about the money and the mental stress.  Nothing else in the final analysis. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ignore it please. They will lower than the value and will turn around and get a much better price.  Go to a legit real estate broker, check them out first.  

Frequent Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

They also get the information from the court when the will is probated.

I totally agree.  I've gotten the same kind of letters for my late mother's home as well.  I went through a competent realtor.  Personally, I think these people are tacky and predatory at a time when people are most vulnerable.

Honored Contributor

The tax records are also public.  I regularly get letters and phone calls about buying my house.   I live in a coveted area and most of the letters are from contractors offering all cash and as is.  They want my lot not my 70 year old house.  When I want to sell I will take one of their offers.  With no real estate agent to pay it probably would be close in price.  

Valued Contributor

My neighbor sold her house "as is" in 3 days. It needed a new roof and replacing carpets. 
'The new owners are flipping it.

Respected Contributor

If they are sending this, they can resell it at a higher price- Don't go for it! 

Honored Contributor

Having just gone thru selling a house---we listed on Friday and it sold on Sunday!!!!!! And for $140,000 ABOVE asking price- I would talk to a realtor--ours was outstanding and gave us very practical advice/help and  what we needed to do .You really need a pro for selling these days.