Honored Contributor

Re: Let students hurl canned food at intruders - Good idea or bad idea?

That's really a dumb idea...

Esteemed Contributor

This stupidity is akin to the 1950s drill that took place in every school in America. In the event of a nuclear attack, we were told to hide under our desks. If the threat became imminent, we were to go into the hallway with heads in our laps. We practiced these ridiculous exercises throught the year. Most of us loved the drills because they gave us a break from school work. It looks like the way to deal with a monster carrying an Uzi is to throw a can of corn at him. And these fools are teaching children?
Honored Contributor

Do we also sign them all up for ball camp so they can learn to throw a fast can or curve can? If I send a can of food to school it is for a food bank and not a weapon for a child to throw at a possibly heavily armed adult in order to make that adult even angrier.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Regular Contributor

You have got to be kidding!!

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Honored Contributor

What a DUMB idea .....

Esteemed Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.blink}Cans will not help them if the intruders have guns. I have a 14 year old daughter and worry about this all the time. To answer the question no I do not think it is a good idea but, then again what is?{#emotions_dlg.bored}

Valued Contributor

I don't think throwing cans would be very effective, it is more of a feel good idea and may give the students a false sense of security if the entire concept doesn't unnerve them with something they hadn't thought much about.

I would have less objection to having a supply or air horns in the classrooms. A roomful of those going off simultaneously would have some kind of impact on an intruder, much more than flying cans.

Honored Contributor

If the principal is so concerned about the children's safety, maybe the police should be patrolling the grounds. If someone has a gun or automatic weapon, that person is going to get in somehow no matter how many deterrents a school puts in-- locked doors that have to be buzzed in or showing photo ID at the office before going further into the school.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Perhaps.. stronger gun laws in every state to keep the guns out of the hands of the mentally sick people.

Honored Contributor

I am embarrassed to say, this is from my state, but definitely not where I am from! This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard of ........... who is going to clean up the mess when all the cans are busted around the school???