Honored Contributor

I use pay pal for online purchasing only. I don't sell things online so I don't need to accept payments from paypal. I also do not use the paypal credit - just charge things to my card for a one time payment. I have only one card registered with paypal.

I do think it is an excellant idea to use a paypal acct. instead of putting your credit card in to multiple sites. Paypal is much safer.

Honored Contributor

I have 2 PayPal accounts, one for our work "sunshine" fund and one for personal use.  Both are tied to my personal checking accounts, the work one is tied to my corporate Amex and the personal one to my personal Visa.  I use both for buying, selling and on the "sunshine" fund account I use the PayPalMe link that has no fees associated with it so people can send me money for an event we are having at work (like a potluck).

I've been with PayPal since I started using eBay which was 1999.  I've never had either bank account compromised.

If you only want to accept cash, then just tell people in the listing it's cash only.  They have to see you to pick up the item, don't they?

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I have 2 PayPal accounts, one for our work "sunshine" fund and one for personal use.  Both are tied to my personal checking accounts, the work one is tied to my corporate Amex and the personal one to my personal Visa.  I use both for buying, selling and on the "sunshine" fund account I use the PayPalMe link that has no fees associated with it so people can send me money for an event we are having at work (like a potluck).

I've been with PayPal since I started using eBay which was 1999.  I've never had either bank account compromised.

If you only want to accept cash, then just tell people in the listing it's cash only.  They have to see you to pick up the item, don't they?

@VaBelle35- yeah, the payment isn’t really an issue. She just wanted to be prepared in case they like the chair and want to buy it right then. Please, please, please let them buy it. My husband and I ordered a new chair and ottoman on Friday so I really need to move this one along. We have nowhere to put it. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Let’s talk PayPal

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh  I know the feeling!  I bought new kitchen and living room furniture and posted all of my stuff on our neighborhood Facebook and Nextdoor pages and everything mercifully was gone in under an hour.

I wasn't charging for my stuff, it had served its usefulness.  Most went to a college student who was moving into his first apartment.  His mom was happy to get stuff for free so that she wouldn't feel bad when a bunch of college boys trashed it.  LOL

It saved me money because I would have had to pay someone to come help me drag the stuff to the curb.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@gidgetgh  I know the feeling!  I bought new kitchen and living room furniture and posted all of my stuff on our neighborhood Facebook and Nextdoor pages and everything mercifully was gone in under an hour.

I wasn't charging for my stuff, it had served its usefulness.  Most went to a college student who was moving into his first apartment.  His mom was happy to get stuff for free so that she wouldn't feel bad when a bunch of college boys trashed it.  LOL

It saved me money because I would have had to pay someone to come help me drag the stuff to the curb.

@VaBelle35- if our chair and ottoman don’t sell, our next move would be to take it to a local consignment shop that sells very nice furniture. But we’d have to get it there and my husband just isn’t up to it. 

Our chair is in excellent condition, barely used, leather Ethan Allen, and I priced it to move it. Posted it on Friday and so far, only one person interested. Several people clicked like on it, but only one person wants to come to look at it. I just want it gone. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I use PayPal, but pretty sparingly. I have PayPal linked to two credit cards and, until recently, only used it when making EBay purchases. 

Then I branched out a little and use it some on other online sites when buying things. When I go to check out, I sometimes use the “checkout with PayPal” option.  

I’m on Facebook and sometimes sell items on local yard sale pages. Several times, people have asked me if they can just PayPal the funds to me. Since I only have PayPal linked to my credit card, I can’t accept funds that way. 

What do some of you do?  Do you use PayPal at all? Do you use it like I do, linked to a credit card and only use it to buy things from retailers?  Or do you have it linked to your bank account so that people can send funds directly to your account. If you do that, have you ever had any problems?

And apparently there’s a new one now, Venmo. All I know about it is its name. 

@gidgetgh

I'm a big Ebayer so I use Paypal just about every week.  I have my checking as my primary account for pulling or depositing money with Paypal.  I also have a couple credit cards attached for ebay purchases.  

For a few years now, I've had a Paypal debit card that can be used to pull money or make purchases from the balance.

I have never had a problem with Paypal or the security.  

Honored Contributor

My paypal account is linked to my checking account, I rarely have an issue with it.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My PayPal is linked to a debit card that is linked to my checking account. The funds are not returned to my checking account but stay in my PayPal account; I prefer it that way. If I wish to transfer the funds to my checking account, I am charged a fee. If there is money in the PayPal account, it is used first and then my debit card is charged for the remainder. Have never had an issue with using PayPal (so far).

Respected Contributor

I have used Paypal for years for buying & selling & I love them.

I have a credit card & my checking account linked to PP & so far, have not had any problems.

I think the fee when you sell something is a small amount. That may have changed it's been a while since I sold anything.

Esteemed Contributor

PayPal will except payments to you and hold it in a "

'credit account' and apply it when you make a future purchase.  You have to request that the money be put in your bank acct or applied to your credit card.  They don't do it automatically for you.