Respected Contributor

Re: Let's get funny! Share your humorous public moment!

[ Edited ]

In college we frequented dance club/bars.  Dress code stated girls had to wear dresses or skirts.  In 1967 short, baby doll dresses were quite fashionable.  I had a voile one lined in (slippery) taffeta.  When we slow danced, couples wrapped their arms around each other.  I was short and was dancing with a tall guy.  I wrapped my arms around his neck, and he wrapped his arms around lower back. As the music played, we held each other tighter and my already short dress drifted up, exposing my pretty little panties.

Honored Contributor

One day, I went to DD's school to pick her up and discovered I had my pants on backward.  Another time, I was sitting on a bench at an event for quite a while when I realized I had a different shoe on each foot.

One day I took DD to chuck e cheese, and a woman came up to me and whispered that I had toilet paper hanging down the back, lol, had put it on the bathroom seat, and when I pulled my pants up, it went with them.

Esteemed Contributor

It's funny to see that many of the same things have happened to lots of us. 

I once got out of the car and walked through a multiplex parking lot with my skirt tucked firmly into my panties.  DH was walking next to me, so he didn't notice anything, either. Finally, a woman came up to me in the lobby and told me. I never wore that skirt again. 

Another time I was at a very dressy gathering with some friends.  Went to the bathroom and of course came back trailing a long tail of toilet paper. I had walked through a hotel lobby and than through the large, crowded room where the party was being held. Of course my friends took one look at me and burst out laughing. I was so embarrassed that I wanted to leave, but they convinced me that it was so crowded in the room that no one had gotten a good look at me.  It's funny how we never forget these things, and oh so comforting to read what's happened to everyone else. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

Years ago I worked in lower Manhattan.  Got off of work one night and headed to the subway. It was rush hour and the streets were crowded.  The elastic on my half-slip broke as I was crossing the street.  The slip fell to the ground, of course.  I just stepped out of it and kept walking, hoping that nobody had seen that happen!

That's very funny . My mom had the same thing happen but she was walking down the middle aisle for Communion at midnight Mass.on Christmas Eve. She did the same thing just walked right out of it and kept on going! Em

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the LOLs  Smiley Happy  I cant think of any thing except once when I tripped over a sidewalk for no reason and fell. A guy walking along helped me up. Embarrassing for sure.

Esteemed Contributor

I've told this story a couple of times here over the years....Back in the 80's I went to an amusement park with a couple of co-workers.  I had decided to wear  some off-white espadrille wedge shoes.  A day or two before, I used the recommended cleaner on them and really put A LOT on the shoes.  We get to the amusement park and, at some point, decide to ride a round water raft ride where you are guaranteed to get soaked.  We got drenched, got off the ride and I started walking.  My espadrilles were foaming up and leaving clouds of foam on the sidewalk as I walked.  We went to a nearby restroom and a little girl was with her mom and I remember her saying, "Mommy, look at her shoes".  The mother was trying to hush up her daughter and hurry along.  I was humiliated at the time but now I think it's hilarious.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I used to work at a party store as cashier and one particular crazy, busy day,out of sheer frustration of not enough help, I said out loud---Help me Rhonda !!!!-----as opposed to another not so appropiate phrase---there were customers all over, after all and this voice asked me--what do you want? I looked at her and then she said, I'm Rhonda---by that time there were a few more peeps up front to help me and we all nearly collapsed in laughter.  I ,of course, explained myself to Rhonda and assured her all was well, that I was just using that phrase from the Beach Boys song!! Was really funny!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I used to work at a party store as cashier and one particular crazy, busy day,out of sheer frustration of not enough help, I said out loud---Help me Rhonda !!!!-----as opposed to another not so appropiate phrase---there were customers all over, after all and this voice asked me--what do you want? I looked at her and then she said, I'm Rhonda---by that time there were a few more peeps up front to help me and we all nearly collapsed in laughter.  I ,of course, explained myself to Rhonda and assured her all was well, that I was just using that phrase from the Beach Boys song!! Was really funny!!

@wagirl

Ha-Ha...I've now got that song stuck in my head......

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Thank you all for the LOLs  Smiley Happy  I cant think of any thing except once when I tripped over a sidewalk for no reason and fell. A guy walking along helped me up. Embarrassing for sure.

@FlowerBear  I can trip over an ant, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

Teen embarrassment is just horrible.

I had worked really hard for and attained my "Curved Bar" in Girl Scouts (their version of Eagle Scouts, but you never hear about it).  The San Francisco Girl Scout Council Curved Bar Diner & Ceremony was planned to occur at the Fairmont Hotel in the Gold Ballroom.  For those familiar with the Fairmont and its ballrooms, this was the epitome of elegance.

Since The Council included many counties in The Greater Bay Area, there were many teens, aside those from San Francisco proper.  We were all sponsored, but wouldn't know who our sponsors were, until the night of the event.  All of the recipients were to wear their uniforms, with sponsors and all others in formal wear.

For anyone reading this who can relate to back in the day, you'll recognize my sponsor as being Congressman Maillard's wife.  She was the Jackie Kennedy of California and sat just to my wife, making wonderful conversation with me, when I reached over, during dinner, for my glass of milk.  Missed the milk, hit the glass, and its contents went directly into her dinner plate, totally ruining her dinner.

I could have died.  Right there on the spot I wanted to dry up and go away.  Mortified didn't describe my feelings.  I nearly cried.  I mean my milk in Mrs. Maillard's dinner!  My mother was going to kill me!

Mrs. Maillard assured me that everything was OK.  She immediately raised her right arm slightly and, whoosh, a waiter was at her elbow removing the plate.  Before I knew it, she had a knew dinner.  But, I still couldn't get that image out of my head.

(I learned many years later that I had actually been introduced to the woman who would become my stepmother in the graphic arts department of the downtown Emporium, as I had to work with them to create a newspaper ad regarding the Easter Fashion Show I was working on, from concept through completion of the show.)