Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Talk About the Olympics (What's YOUR Favorite Competition YOU want to watch)

wrote:

I just had a thought....So, I've always heard the Olympics are very, very expensive to prepare for.  I'm talking about the countries building the housing, the trails, all of that is expensive.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/02/582790412/south-korea-prepares-to-spend-13-billion-on-winter-olympics...

The headline says:  South Korea prepares to spend 13 billion (that's billion) $ on winter Olympics!

I've also read that often these countries don't come close to recovering the amount of money spent on the preparation.  It's supposed to be about prestige, I guess!

One of the articles I read said that South Korea is trying to get people to think of the area as a 'go to' tourist destination?!!  Good grief!  OK?

Just like so many people in these countries, I'm sure the average person won't ever see anything associated with these Olympics.  Why?  Because they don't have the money to spend to even get to these places!

Lake Placid NY still has the ski jumps, bobsled, luge, housing,etc.etc. from the 1980 Winter Olympics. The most famous being the skating rink from the "Miracle on Ice", one of the most exciting Olympic Games of all for Americans.

Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Talk About the Olympics (What's YOUR Favorite Competition YOU want to watch)

I'll watch everything as time and schedule allows. 

I only have two athletes to chear for on a personal level....Lindsey Vonn for skiing and Nick Cunningham, for bobsled. 

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Pairs skating. 

Loved Trankov and Voloszhar from last Olympics. 

Esteemed Contributor

I watch as much of the Olympics as I can. As a matter of fact, it's the only sports I am really into. Although I prefer the Summer Olympics because i love swimming, I do like the Winter too. My favorites in the Winter Olympics are the Luge and the Snowboarding. (I watch skating, but I admit to getting mad due to judges showing partiality at times with the scoring!).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@hckynut Thanks!  I'm curious.  I apologize for asking a personal question and if you don't want to answer, I'm sure you'll ignore the question.

You enjoy watching hockey, you said.  I was wondering at what age it was discovered you had hemophilia (I believe that's what I saw you say you have, if not, I apologize).

Also, if you were very young, were you able to play any sports?

You are such a good writer.  Have you ever considered writing a book telling what it was like growing up with this blood disease.

I know very little about it and if I've over-stepped...I apologize.

@

@Annabellethecat66,

Never mentioned hemophilia, but!! I have been on both ends of the clotting/bleeding problems. I have had Lung Blood Clots(PE) , on 2 diiferent occasions, 8 days in the hospital for 1st episode/9 days in hospital for the 2nd episode. Both times put on Hephrine IV drip till INR/ProTime numbers went up to 2.5.

Also too much bleeding from my colon. In hospital for over a month and had 5 Colonoscopies/swallowed camera pill, they still could not find the bleed. Went to NE Med Center and had 3 Double Balloon Enteroscopies (same as Colonoscopy/longer scope and a 4 hour procedure. Found the bleed and used a Laser to fix it. Have had many since and over 125+ Blood Transfusions and about 25-30 Iron Infusions up to the present time.

No blood disease, but suffered from Anemia over much of 7 years. Went off Coumadin/Warfarin to get away from Anemia and getting blood transfusions every 3 weeks to keep my Hemoglobin numbers to at least 9.0. 

I don't mind at all sharing my many medical issues with others, feel it sometimes might benefit some that read my post. If you have any more questions, just ask me. Will do my best to answer them.

Had several here over the years tell me I should write a book. Maybe some day I just might do give it a shot. Have led what I think was/is an interesting life, with many different twists and turns. Thank you for your compliment, very much appreciated.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, you are thinking of gardenman, he has hemophilia.

Respected Contributor

Here is a comprehensive schedule where you can find out about each individual athlete, sports, teams of all nations, results, all time results, which country intruduced what sport, etc.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/

Esteemed Contributor

Usually, the skating but I'm not enjoying the scoring this year and the performances have not been inspiring especially our team.  I did think Rippon skated best but placed third.....Medvedeva skated beautifully.  Loved the Italian ice dancing pair but the Canadians placed.  

This is Year I did enjoy the snowboarding so far.....the evening is young so maybe an inspiring performance will take place.....

The skaters from previous years with strong US teams were so exciting to watch with so much personality.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@hckynut Thanks!  I'm curious.  I apologize for asking a personal question and if you don't want to answer, I'm sure you'll ignore the question.

You enjoy watching hockey, you said.  I was wondering at what age it was discovered you had hemophilia (I believe that's what I saw you say you have, if not, I apologize).

Also, if you were very young, were you able to play any sports?

You are such a good writer.  Have you ever considered writing a book telling what it was like growing up with this blood disease.

I know very little about it and if I've over-stepped...I apologize.

@Annabellethecat66  I agree about the book.