Honored Contributor

Let's Talk About the Olympics (What's YOUR Favorite Competition YOU want to watch)

[ Edited ]

I'm curious.  I recently discussed with friends what sports they are going to watch during the Olympics.

I would like to know if the time of day the competition for certain sports are shown affects your TV viewing?

When you mention the sport, what is it about the sport (i.e. the strength, the mental endurance, etc) that makes you want to watch?

Just 'talk' about how you feel about the Olympics.  Are they outdated?  I mean do you think people 'just aren't interested anymore'?

I realize I'm using broad strokes (so to speak) when asking these questions.  I just don't have any preconceived ideas about the Olympics one way or another.  I'm just curious how others here think about them.

I'm not keeping track of people's responses.  I'm not writing a paper.  I don't mean to be nosey. 

This is (in my opinion) a good cross-section of ...mainly females....and I wonder how many people are like me.

What spawned this curiosity is at lunch today with a friend I spouted out, "Most people are similar in their ideas and temperament.  They just don't realize it".

Then I thought about those two sentences and questioned if it was true.  Incidentally, I read it somewhere, it isn't even my own thought.

Two different questions.  Two different subjects.  Let's see what's done with it. 

What say you guys?

Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Talk About the Olympics (What's YOUR Favorite Competition YOU want to watch)

I like to watch the figure skating, and the ski jumping. The skating makes me nervous though, I'm so afraid they will fall.⛷⛸

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Re: Let's Talk About the Olympics (What's YOUR Favorite Competition YOU want to watch)

@QVCkitty1 I agree with you, I get nervous too!  I get REALLY nervous watching the racers because I've read that those blades on those boots are so sharp they can cut down to the bone!

I know most people don't realize how dangerous much of the Winter Olympics (especially) actually is.  Perhaps because we, the viewers think it looks easier than it actually is.

My daughter and her boyfriend ski every single weekend.  A few weeks ago her dog ran too close to the skis and cut her leg.  My daughter said there are different skis for different types of skiing and the skis she was wearing were razor sharp.  

She had to rush the dog to the vets and get her leg fixed.  It wasn't very big but it was deep.  She's good now but it scared my daughter.  This was just from skis, can't imagine those skates!

Honored Contributor

I like the opening ceremonies.  I'm watching right now.  I prefer watching it on On Demand rather than live.  I enjoy all of the skating.  I like the closing ceremony.  

Honored Contributor

I'll watch the figure skating--been an fan since pre Peggy Fleming days.  I'll watch some of the skiing--downhill, slalom, etc.  No snowboarding stuff.  Probably some hockey, ski jumping and bobsled.  Don't know what times these events will be on so hope I don't miss too much.  

Honored Contributor

Love the Olympics! I don't care for what I consider the artistry events like figure skating: too subjective on scoring although I like the technical aspect of it.
I like hockey, Alpine skiing, speedskating, bobsled, luge, skeleton, ski jumping, snowboarding.
Trusted Contributor

Spoiler
I am enjoying the snowboarding right now, but my favorite is the figure skating. Both of my daughters were figure skaters. In fact, my older daughter's fist skating teachers is coaching one of the American girls.  I look forward to watching.

Honored Contributor

I just had a thought....So, I've always heard the Olympics are very, very expensive to prepare for.  I'm talking about the countries building the housing, the trails, all of that is expensive.

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/02/582790412/south-korea-prepares-to-spend-13-billion-on-winter-olympics...

The headline says:  South Korea prepares to spend 13 billion (that's billion) $ on winter Olympics!

I've also read that often these countries don't come close to recovering the amount of money spent on the preparation.  It's supposed to be about prestige, I guess!

One of the articles I read said that South Korea is trying to get people to think of the area as a 'go to' tourist destination?!!  Good grief!  OK?

Just like so many people in these countries, I'm sure the average person won't ever see anything associated with these Olympics.  Why?  Because they don't have the money to spend to even get to these places!

Honored Contributor

I like to watch the figure skating.  I like how graceful they are.  I am a bit nervous for them at times too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Other than the long distance cross country ski events, I enjoy most of the sports in the winter games. I also enjoy some of the back stories of the athletes, such as the sisters who are playing hockey - one for the USA and one for Korea. 

What I'm NOT interested in is seeing the network "personalities" out and about, trying to be cool and relevant. I really don't care how long their plane flight was, where they're having dinner or what they're shopping for. I think it's pretty tacky that they're outfitting themselves in the same Ralph Lauren gear that's issued to the athletes (it's available for sale to anyone). 

I want to see the best competitors, regardless of their nationality. American TV coverage makes that difficult. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~