Honored Contributor

Lester Holt's Ratings Triumph!

I must say I really like Lester Holt - he's a straight shooter news guy and appears not to be the lying, egomanic Brian Williams is.  I've been rooting for Holt ever since he (rightly) took over for Williams.

I didn't know he'd been beating David Muir in the ratings (whom, I thought was doing well after taking over for Diane Sawyer) until I read the following in today's NY Post.

Holt has been beating Muir, whom this article says has become "Monster Anchor."

Go, Holt.  I'm still rooting for you!  You seem to be a class guy, interested in delivering the news, rather than promoting yourself.  He seems to have a really nice family too - one of his sond is also a news anchor.

http://pagesix.com/2015/09/09/abcs-david-muir-nicknamed-anchor-monster/?_ga=1.205063635.2109775645.1...

Honored Contributor

Re: Lester Holt's Ratings Triumph!

I also like Lester and am glad he got the anchor job.

As for whether he's as upright as OP thinks he is -  he is until proven otherwise.  I say that becasuse I always liked Brian Willliams also and until his fall from grace, I did not feel he was at all an egomaniac.  Just a straightshooter with a lovely family!

Why is Holt beating Muir?  One idea is that the evening news shows play to one of the oldest demographics of any kind of show and Lester is old enough to be Muir's father, I think. 

Right now I listen more to Scott Paley, but that's pretty much because I like the CBS local anchors here in the NYC area way, way better than any of the other local channels.

The only place I never go for news is Fox.  I don't trust the judgement there and don't feel at all at home there.  Their tag line is a joke to me.

Respected Contributor

we like lester, too.  he comes from the next town over from us and is very well thoght of.  nice people! 

Honored Contributor

Kudos to Lester!!  I am happy to hear this.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

I love Lester. It's sort of a crush because hey, hes good lookin....hubba hubba...but mostly because he  is a really great and honest journalist IMHO. Always has been in my eyes any way.

I was so glad that they placed him in the anchor chair when all that mush mush with Brian Williams went down, and I was elated when he got the job permanently. I watch almost every evening!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

As for whether he's as upright as OP thinks he is -  he is until proven otherwise. 

Hence, my use of the words "appears" and  "seem" in my first post. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

As for whether he's as upright as OP thinks he is -  he is until proven otherwise. 

Hence, my use of the word "seem" in my first post. 

we can all be seen as upright until proven otherwse.  he's not alone in that department.

Honored Contributor

@ladyroxanne wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Hence, my use of the word "seem" in my first post. 

we can all be seen as upright until proven otherwse.  he's not alone in that department.

My point in the post you quoted was that I qualified my first post so the remark in the second post was unnecessary IMO. 

Honored Contributor

I started watchiong NBC news when CBS did not give Harry Smith the anchor spot he so rightly deserved. He went to NBC and I went there too. I am a fan of Holt as well and I enjoy their news shows. I really do not like listening to Pelly or Muir, so I don't watch the other 2 channels. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know why Page Six felt they needed to use the ratings as an opportunity to write a disparaging unnamed-source article about David Muir.  I've been a fan of Lester Holt's for a long, long time, I'm glad he's doing well, and I hope it continues because it seems to me he's deserving of an appreciative viewing audience.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova