Honored Contributor

Re: Lessons Learned The Hard Way

@SloopJohnB  Too funny!!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@beach-mom   While reading your post about the lamb chops, I couldn't help but think of the Seinfeld episode involving him hiding mutton in his napkin because he didn't want to eat it.  Have you seen it?  Too funny.  🐑🍽🐕

LOL @SloopJohnB ! I'm one of probably the two only people on this earth who have never seen Seinfeld - not one episode! I have friends who have, and I've heard about the Soup Nazi. I like all of the actors. IDK why I never saw it. It could have been a schedule situation at the time. Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom  Actually I never saw it when it was first on.  I only started watching it when it went into syndication and then I have seen the reruns many a time over.  Same for other shows, like King of Queens 🤴👸and Everybody Loves 💘Raymond.  I think looking back when these shows were on I was too busy raising my kids to watch much TV.  📺 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦.  

No soup for you!  😘

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@beach-mom  Actually I never saw it when it was first on.  I only started watching it when it went into syndication and then I have seen the reruns many a time over.  Same for other shows, like King of Queens 🤴👸and Everybody Loves 💘Raymond.  I think looking back when these shows were on I was too busy raising my kids to watch much TV.  📺 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦.  

No soup for you!  😘

@SloopJohnB - I really should watch it! I keep watching Frasier. That show makes me LOL! I saw almost every episode when it was on, but I never get tired of it. I DVR it to watch when I can, and I find myself adding more and more episodes to my "keep" list on my DVR. 

One of my favorite "lamb" episodes is actually a M.A.S.H. one. The doctors have treated soldiers from a Greek unit, and in appreciation the Greek colonel sends a lamb to the 4077th for a feast. Radar doesn't like that. It's absolutely hilarious!  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

My mother loved the theater so when I was a child she took me to children's plays. The first one was a musical that I hated, but not wanting to disappoint my mother, I said I loved it. Somehow, when lying about a gift or event, most oversell, going on about how much they like it.

Big mistake and no surprise that I was taken to, and had to endure, hundreds of plays.

The lesson I learned then that's been with me ever since is that anything praised will be repeated evermore.

It's always a tough needle to thread.  You want to be gracious, yet it can come back to bite a person, as it did you.

I've received gifts that I truly thought were dreadful but I'm not going to communicate that to the person.  So you try to make a real-looking smile, come up with a positive comment, and thank them gracefully.

I can imagine something like somebody gifting some sort of trinket of the collectible nature and your gracious appreciation turns into you getting another one every year.  Smiley Surprised

Fortunately, we don't do gifts anymore (my gifts are either cashola or Amazon money) and don't have family, so *whew* - no more of having to pretend you like something that you wish would bust out in flames.  HA!  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom  And I've never watched Frasier..... Then or now.  🤷. LOL

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@beach-mom   While reading your post about the lamb chops, I couldn't help but think of the Seinfeld episode involving him hiding mutton in his napkin because he didn't want to eat it.  Have you seen it?  Too funny.  🐑🍽🐕

LOL @SloopJohnB ! I'm one of probably the two only people on this earth who have never seen Seinfeld - not one episode! I have friends who have, and I've heard about the Soup Nazi. I like all of the actors. IDK why I never saw it. It could have been a schedule situation at the time. Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  I'm the third person on earth who has never seen Seinfeld. But I do love Frazier.

Honored Contributor

On the opposite end of the grace spectrum, I'm reminded of a story from many years ago.

My former had a brother (who was very nice) and a SIL (who was, well, not so much).  They had two girls.  One christmas we asked about gifts for them and really made an effort to give these girls nice gifts that they would love. Well, so we thought.

At the time of gift giving I don't remember one of the gifts but the other was a doll.   Dolls creep me out but I remember finding what would be the right doll to give.  In lieu of a thank you the girl who got the doll started scribbling all over it with a pen.  The other child just immediately tore her gift to shreds.

As I sat there I was mortified.  I'm thinking 'this is how you teach your kids to act???'.    (yes, they were old enough to know better)  As horrid as my childhood was, at least we DID learn manners and social graces.

When I think of being graceful (or not) this is what comes to mind for me as the worst example I think I've ever seen.  Oh, and the parents just sat there, doing/saying nothing.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt 

It's a tightrope walk, being gracious, but not too gracious. 

With gifts, I go on about the wrapping paper, ribbon and the thoughtfulness of the giver.

Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@beach-mom  And I've never watched Frasier..... Then or now.  🤷. LOL

@SloopJohnB - You HAVE to see this if you can! Two of my favorite episodes are "The Ski Lodge" (Season 5, Episode #14), with "romantic" entanglements; and "The Innkeepers" (Season 2, Episode #23), when the two brothers buy their childhood restaurant. 

Did you ever see Cheers? Frasier was a character on that show. In his trademark show he moves to his hometown of Seattle to be a radio psychiatrist. His younger brother Niles is also a psychiatrist, who is married to a wealthy recluse, but pines for his father's live-in physical therapist/caretaker
, a beautiful young girl from England. Frasier gets his dream condo with an amazing view where he can showcase the finer things in life he enjoys. But he ends up taking in his dad, who retired from the police force when he was shot in the hip, and his dad's dog, and of course the caretaker. The wonderful ensemble cast is completed by Frasier's online producer. 

You can tell how much I enjoy this show!  Smiley Happy