Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lessons Learned Lasting A Lifetime

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman...Such an impressive career!...Would you care to share how many Administrations you worked under as the "girl who just blended in with the drapes"?...lol Cat Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove

I only worked at the WH in the Carter Administration towards the end.  The writing was on the wall there would not be a second term for President Carter, so I left before it ended.  I likely would have been shown the door anyway!  That's how it works....when the Administration changes, so does most of the staff.

The rest of my time was spent working in a Federal agency.   A good decision!  

Honored Contributor

There's no place like home.  Sorry, mine aren't about jobs.

Respected Contributor

The best lesson I ever learned was how to save money and budget. That came from my parents. Following their example and advice, I was fortunate enough to retire very early.

The second best advice I ever received was from a college professor. She told me that under no circumstances should I tell potential employers that I could type and/or take a typing test. That was good, because I never really learned to do it until I started using computers. But the reasoning behind her advice was very sound at the time. She said if they knew I could type, I'd get put in the secretarial staff, rather than the professional/management staff, regardless of my grades and finance degree and then I'd be stuck there forever. She was absolutely right! I saw it happen to other women. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~