Honored Contributor

Re: Lesson Taught But Was It Learned (a/k/a Know the Facts)

I think a good employee is appreciated no matter their age. The more important factor is attitude. You are there to work, as my boss used to love to say - If  this was easy they wouldn't have to pay someone to do it. I've known lazy older workers and lazy young new grads. That doesn't change.

Honored Contributor

IMO, this "lesson" is the reason why certain things in education are creating more problems than they are solving. 

For instance, no student who produces a "good faith effort" can earn less than a 50% on an assignment.  Also, students can REDO anything (other than what is excluded in writing on the syllabus) for one opportunity to earn a better grade.  They have to complete the original version on time, but can essentially redo whatever they want, and they earn the better of the two grades.

We have explained that in the "real world" there are no do-overs.  

You're a doctor?  You don't get to operate on a patient AGAIN because you did it wrong the first time.

You're a lawyer?  You don't get to defend someone AGAIN because you weren't prepared for cross examination.

You're a businessman?  You don't get to redo the presentation for the client AGAIN next week because you didn't have the research ready in time for the meeting.

These interns feel that this was "unfair" and they want a do-over because that's all they have ever experienced.  They always have opportunities to "fix" things, if they have unsatisfactory results, and if they don't like that answer, their parents will swoop in and go to the top until they get things resolved to their liking.

This type of situation will continue because they don't really "get" it, that firing is a consequence in the real world, and for that there are no do-overs.  

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@violann wrote:

Lessons learned?

Interns are easily replaced.

Ask and listen, then act and speak.

Choose your battles.

Being 20 may SEEM much more powerful than actually BEING more powerful.

Don't protest your lack of rights uNTIL you know what rights you DO have.

Your first firing is not a tragedy, it is a golden opportunity for learning.

More. --------?

FIRST firing ?!?! I've never been fired from a job in my life.

Nor have I, but even though you may find it hard to believe this, some people ARE fired, and LIFE GOES ON!

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

IMO, this "lesson" is the reason why certain things in education are creating more problems than they are solving. 

For instance, no student who produces a "good faith effort" can earn less than a 50% on an assignment.  Also, students can REDO anything (other than what is excluded in writing on the syllabus) for one opportunity to earn a better grade.  They have to complete the original version on time, but can essentially redo whatever they want, and they earn the better of the two grades.

You're a doctor?  You don't get to operate on a patient AGAIN because you did it wrong the first time.

You're a lawyer?  You don't get to defend someone AGAIN because you weren't prepared for cross examination.

You're a businessman?  You don't get to redo the presentation for the client AGAIN next week because you didn't have the research ready in time for the meeting.

These interns feel that this was "unfair" and they want a do-over because that's all they have ever experienced.  They always have opportunities to "fix" things, if they have unsatisfactory results, and if they don't like that answer, their parents will swoop in and go to the top until they get things resolved to their liking.

This type of situation will continue because they don't really "get" it, that firing is a consequence in the real world, and for that there are no do-overs.  

Great points, @lolakimono!  Around here it's even worse than you described.  Students can retake any assessment as many times as they want--even after the report cards have been printed.  It's so bad that two teachers on my team (science and social studies) built in 100 bonus points into the grade if the assignment was turned in on time or early.  If the assignment was turned in late (one kid's was over a month late), the students only got 90 bonus points.  The kid who did nothing for more than a month walked away with a grade of 185/100.  The teachers offer many bonus points on individual assignments so they don't have to deal with time consuming retests and mama drama.

Girls walk around with backless dresses and tops, short skirts, and low cut tops.  Boys wear their pants sagging beneath their bottoms showing off their boxer shorts.  There are grading and dress policies in place, but get ready to sit in front of a firing squad if you want to enforce the rules.  Band and chorus students opt out of core subject classes because they have a special concert or audition coming up (which occurs every 3-4 weeks).  

It's crazy how the students and parents are running the school.  I'm not surprised the kids grow up and think they can run the business shortly after being hired.

Frequent Contributor

@Marp, thanks for the post. My son is about to go off to college and i had him read the article. This is great advice for people entering college and first careers. It's better to keep your mouth shut and assume you don't know the entire situation before setting you career on fire. Good for management......hopefully the interns learned a valuable lesson.
Kate
Frequent Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Great post @lolakimono!

Honored Contributor

BUT- did anyone catch the story that was on CBS radio news yesterday about the two kids (one female, one male) who were hired to do THE SAME JOB at a chain restaurant, and when they compared notes, as friends, learned that SHE was making .25 less/hour than HE was?

Upon reporting this to their crew chief, they were both fired because, CC told them, company policy did not permit "discussion about salaries".

These kids went above the rank of the crew chief, and the CREW CHIEF was then fired and the kids reinstated, at THE SAME PAY.

Moral? There isn't one, except to be very VERY sure that you've done comprehensive research before opening your mouth.

Esteemed Contributor

What I have told my children for years as they left for school, "Follow the rules, mind your own business, and keep your mouth shut" also good for a workplace( unless there is an major issue or injustice).