Honored Contributor

I was the same age as Diane Lake at the time and remember watching on TV the horror of it and the arrest & trial!

I also read Helter Skelter many years ago and feel the same way that you do, Pearley.  I think they all deserved the death penalty.  Too bad the law was changed in California after their trial.

Esteemed Contributor

I do believe that imprisoning someone for the rest of their lives is the most severe punishment.  No possibility of parole.  Death would be an easy out.  And for the families of victims, a sentence for murderers of innocents, that will be immediate closure.  When the sentence is death, it takes many years of appeals before it is carried out.  That is our system of justice, like it or not.

After the Boston Marathon horror, one perpetrator was killed in a shootout with police.  The second was tried and sentenced to death.  It still has not happened yet.  So families are still waiting for complete closure.  Some families and some living victims had stated they wished the sentence would have been life without parole, so they would not be waiting for many years for closure.  I do understand that.  I believe the killer is in the super-max prison, so his life is hardly a party.

I know people have strong opinions about this subject, but this is just another way of looking at this issue.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I do not feel everyone deserves human mercy. I believe there is only one true source of unconditional love and forgiveness and it does not come from me.

Esteemed Contributor

A change of topic, I know.  We in CT have a horrible crime to deal with.  It has been all over the national news.  It is as obvious as the nose on my face who the killer is.  The ex-husband.  For weeks now, authorities have been looking for his ex-wife’s body.  So far, nothing.  But there is evidence enough to convict, as some have said.  My heart goes out to her family, especially those poor five children.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

A change of topic, I know.  We in CT have a horrible crime to deal with.  It has been all over the national news.  It is as obvious as the nose on my face who the killer is.  The ex-husband.  For weeks now, authorities have been looking for his ex-wife’s body.  So far, nothing.  But there is evidence enough to convict, as some have said.  My heart goes out to her family, especially those poor five children.

And now he is OUT OF BOND!!  Can you believe that?  Gruesome.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

And now he is OUT OF BOND!!  Can you believe that?  Gruesome.

I meant OUT ON BOND.  ooopps

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower  Here's a reply for you. My only objection to her living next door would be the press and voyeurs invading mine and her privacy that would be lurking 24/7. If not for them, I would be fine with her as a neighbor.

Esteemed Contributor

Just make sure all of your doors and windows are locked up tight.

Respected Contributor

I recently watched another show detailing the Manson family crimes and it makes my blood boil. The intense savagery in the way these wackos killed their victims--and for what?  This piece of garbage is exactly where she should be. They all should have been put to death years ago.  

Honored Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

If those here and anywhere out there think this person should be released, I suggest they take her into THEIR homes.

On another thread concerning this topic, there are some who think she's not a threat and should be released. I asked them if they'd be at ease with her living next door or across the street from them -- and wouldn't they'd be afraid to fall asleep at night. And if they'd be worried about what her "friends" were doing at her house or what they were talking about.

I didn't get a response. Since I had put it that way, I'm thinking they wouldn't be ok with it afterall.

I don't think anyone who feels it got more and more fun as the stabbling went on, should ever be released into society.  She did the crime and now she has to do the time (and she should feel lucky it's doing time and not having been put to death).