Honored Contributor

Have they done this before?

Honored Contributor

I wonder if that is the same friend or should I say former friend that we have.  We were very close at one, live across the street from each other for years, raised our kids together, spent holidays and vacations together.  Like my hubby, the husband is...or was...an RN.  He took a job selling medical equipment to hospitals and doctors and started making lots of money.  It changed him.  Suddenly they are driving matching BMW's and jetting off to Paris for weekends, they bought one of those tacky McMansions. Flashing his money around.  We still maintained some sort of friendship until he told my husband he could get him into the company.  My husband politely declined because he loves being a nurse.  This guy kept asking until my husband exploded and told him what he really thought.  My husband was well aware that it was a ponzi scheme, he was required to bring in other sales people and he got a percentage of the the sales that the people he brought in made.  He knew that his "friends" continued income depended on bringing in more sales people.  It was 2009, in the midst of the crash and hospitals weren't buy expensive medical equipment.  That was the end of the friendship.  Fast forward 10 years and the husband called my husband and asked if he could have a "short term" loan of $10,000.  A couple of months and he'd pay my husband $15,000.  Hubby declined.  Actually hubby didn't even tell me until I told him that the guy's wife had called me.  She said they were in a "bind" and asked if she could borrow $5000 for her son's tuition.  Short term, just a few weeks, she'd pay interest yada yada yada.  I said I couldn't help her and then she offered to sell me some jewelry.  I declined.  That evening, I told hubby about the call and that's when he told me that the husband had called him a couple of weeks prior.  The kicker was that the wife then called a mutual friend who is a physician and told that friend, one my best friends, that I SUGGESTED that she ask her for the loan!  Unbelievable!  I understand that they were desperate but that was just too much!  So desperate that she couldn't figure out that my friend, the doctor, is like a sister to me.  Of course she'd call and ask me about it.  We never heard from either of them after that but it's a small town, we did hear that their house went into foreclosure and they were not driving matching Merecedes anymore.  

Honored Contributor

My DH just called me.   Told him what happened.  He said if I said " no" than the answer is no.

He also said he will not be answering the phone for a few days, nor will he take any calls from this guy...what a chicken.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

No, this was the first and hopefully the last time.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Would like to know more information before I rush to judge.  While usually not quick to lend money, there may be a dire need. 

@CrazyDaisy 

Dire need or not they have not seen or heard from this person for at least 2 years. My question would be why is he calling us??? Does he not have family or friends that he's closer with that he could ask?

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Would like to know more information before I rush to judge.  While usually not quick to lend money, there may be a dire need. 

@CrazyDaisy 

Dire need or not they have not seen or heard from this person for at least 2 years. My question would be why is he calling us??? Does he not have family or friends that he's closer with that he could ask?

Once again not enough information to make a judgement.  There are some old friends that I have not seen in awhile that I would help out if the need was there and I could do it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

My DH just called me.   Told him what happened.  He said if I said " no" than the answer is no.

He also said he will not be answering the phone for a few days, nor will he take any calls from this guy...what a chicken.

@Carmie 

Glad you talked to DH so he knows what's going on. 

He should just answer the phone when this guy calls & tell him No. He may just keep calling so tell DH just get it over with.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@cherry wrote:

No, this was the first and hopefully the last time.

@Carmie 

Generally the only people asking us for money are some of my family members plus some of DH's.

They think it's ok to sit around on their rears & expect others to help them out. Not happening.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

Once again not enough information to make a judgement.  There are some old friends that I have not seen in awhile that I would help out if the need was there and I could do it.

@CrazyDaisy 

All the information I need is that we are not a Bank.

How could you loan a friend money that you have not seen or heard from in years? Unbelievable they would even ask.

Never in a million years would I think of asking a friend for a loan.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy 

Judgement on what????  They have not had a relationship for two years, OP and her husband do not consider them to more than aquaintences now.  OP's husband declined.  That should have been the end of it but then he thought OP would be a softer touh.  OP declined the loan and of course spoke to her husband about it.  It doesn't matter what their need is or isn't.  When you ask for a loan and the person you ask declines, that should be the end of it.