Super Contributor

Hi all.  I have been under the weather (again) and during this time as I was sipping my lovely lemon ginger soup, it occured to me to share this recipe.  Chicken both is my go to beverage when unwell, but after a while it can become monotonous.  Here is my alternative:

8  cups water

1  medium yellow onion cut in quarters

2  stalks celery cut in thirds

2 inch knob fesh ginger rrot, peeled, cut in 1/2 inch pieces

6  cloves garlic chopped roughly

2 tablespoons whole black peppecorns

2  tablespoons fesh lemon juice

3  sprigs fresh thyme

Add all ingredients to 6 quart slow cooker and cook on low for approximately 6 hours.  Hope you enjoy.

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lemon Ginger Sipping Soup

Lemon + Ginger = 2 of my favorite things.

Sounds yummy and even better, vegetarian!

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@asoutherngirl this sounds really healthy and great when you are not well.Do you strain out the veggies?Thanks for the recipe and hope you are well.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds terrific for a sipping soup.  For a "bowl of soup" I would add some snow peas or shredded cabbage, maybe some water chestnuts or bamboo shoots and either udon, soba or rice noodles and a little green onion.  Hmmm, I think I have all the ingredients on hand.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I was watching Ming on PBS he said to cut your ginger in the long diagonals to get more flavor when making a broth.

I also would probably slice a whole lemon to get more intensity. 

Thanks  for this recipe I usually only simmer lemon and ginger for 20 minutes never thought to use my crock pot and go for the real deal with all the other flavors.

Super Contributor

Hi Whatnow.  Yes, I strain out the veggies.  Sorry I ommited that step.  Hope you will ty it and enjoy it.

Esteemed Contributor

This looks excellent Asoutherngirl. I love herbacious (?) stuff like this. I especially love the inclusion of ginger because it is great for aiding digestion and the immune system as are garlic and onions! I have been reading these type of things really do have healing qualities. Thanks. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

This looks excellent Asoutherngirl. I love herbacious (?) stuff like this. I especially love the inclusion of ginger because it is great for aiding digestion and the immune system as are garlic and onions! I have been reading these type of things really do have healing qualities. Thanks. 

A bit OT here: How did your Caramel Cake turn out?

Super Contributor

Hi Irshgrl31201.  Happy you could appreciate the recipe.  I really support the healing certain foods, spices, and herbs.  Another recipe i find useful for sinusitis uses chicken both infused with garlic, spring onions, fresh ginger, kefir leaves, and crushed Chinese red pepper.  I steep the ingredients for a bit on the stove and find that it does help a bit with the misery of sinusitis.

Trusted Contributor

This would also be good for arthritis.