Honored Contributor

Re: Lego Unveils Women of NASA

[ Edited ]

How cool!  I might snag one for myself and let the kids put it together.  Stand these up right next to Captain Janeway on the desk.  

ETA:  FYI, I went to God aka Amazon and it's not there yet either.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@granddi  I know that the kit is not available until Nov. 1st.  I have never ordered directly from LEGO so I don't know how they handle pre-ordering.  I know that their previous women scientists etc. figures/kits sold out very quickly in stores, including the b&m Lego stores.

Perhaps they are not doing to pre-order so that the general public has a chance to get one.

Amazon also doesn't show these kits at all.

@Cakers3

@Well shoot, I was planning on looking on Amazon.  I like @PlaidPants2 idea of keeping one, Plaid is a lot younger than probably most of us.  I think I'll get one for my daughter for the same reason.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for this tip @Cakers3. My grandson is a Lego fanatic and I had no idea that this was even in the works. I will be on it right away on Nov 1st so hopefully we will both get lucky!

I love Legos so much and it really amazes me how imaginative kids get but one thing I HATE is stepping on those suckers that didn't make it back into his toybox before he leaves to go home. They get me every time!

Again, thanks for the tip!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I heard on the news that there were plans to include the highly esteemed AA NASA mathematician Katherine Johnson of Hidden Figures fame, but signatures were not submitted on time (whatever that means).

Honored Contributor

It's a shame Katherine Johnson wasn't included.  Maybe she'll be in the next set of Lego NASA Women.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Maia Weinstock is the artist who designed this kit.  She did include Katherine Johnson.

Any fan-designed kit has to receive 10,000 votes for Lego to consider manufacturing the kit.

Lego "tweaked" the kit and left out Katherine Johnson because she did not want to participate.  I don't know the reason for this.  Maybe somebody can find her thoughts about being included.  Sally RIde is deceased so I don't know who gave approval for her figure.

The figures have to be approved by the persons represented in the kit.

This was the original submission:

@ValuSkr@golding76

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cakers,

Thank you for this clarification.  I just heard a quick news story last night that left me confused about why Katherine Johnson, in the end, was not included. 

(I wonder if Sally Ride's mother is still alive and if she is the one who gave permission.)

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Cakers,

Thank you for this clarification.  I just heard a quick news story last night that left me confused about why Katherine Johnson, in the end, was not included. 

(I wonder if Sally Ride's mother is still alive and if she is the one who gave permission.)

@golding76  I am also assuming that Sally Ride's estate gave permission.

Kudos to Maia for including Katherine Johnson. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I love this and I want one. Great gift too. I think including the DVD of Hidden Figures would make the perfect holiday gift. For boys or girls. Men or women.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"