Honored Contributor

who gives a 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I would leave the toilet paper and paper towels.   I wouldn't go out of my way to leave new packaged ones but certainly wouldn't take what's already there.  When we sold our home a few years ago we had the buyers from hell also.   Just rude and over zealous with demands.  We were the orignal owners and our home was kept up very nicely.  All the paperwork/instructions were left for them.   After all the petty arguing (on their part) they had the nerve to ask us to come over the day of closing and show them how to operate the generator, roof heaters , etc.  

I was like, um.....no.   And I certainly took my champagne with me!  LOL 

Honored Contributor

I recently sold my friend's house who is now living in a nursing home.

I actually went home and got a fresh roll of TP because the roll on the spool was almost used up.  I have digestive issues and am well aware of the importance of having TP.

I also left a partially used roll of paper towels and a bottle with some liquid hand soap on the sink in the bathroom.

The house only had one bathroom, I would not have stocked every bathroom with supplies, but would always leave the TP on the spool.

Respected Contributor
Yes, we have left a new roll of toilet paper in all bathrooms when we sold our homes, along with a new roll of paper towels on the kitchen counter. It is not a big deal. Seems a tad petty not to. When we have bought a new house, the previous owners left TP rolls too .
Honored Contributor

When we have moved, I was just lucky to get myself and everything else out.

I left the toilet paper, a roll of paper towels, and soap in the downstairs bathroom for all of us to use while we (ourselves and a couple helping us whom we helped as well) packed and while the moving van was there.  (The moving van people didn't use our bathroom).

Esteemed Contributor

I left a full roll to tp when I sold my house - and they actually thanked me!

TP's one thing you never think of having on had when moving somewhereWoman Wink.

Valued Contributor
I would leave what's on the roll. As others have mentioned, what do you expect in public bathrooms?? No one I know travels w tp except if taking a long trip or camping or something like that. It's extremely petty in my opinion. I'd probably also leave a roll of paper towels or some paper napkins. Maybe a cheap soap too. If they throw it out it's not my problem & I'd only be out less than $5. It shows class & being a polite citizen.

And while I would take all free standing lamps, etc., unscrewing & taking every single light bulbs in the ceilings/fixed lighting is very childish behavior no matter the circumstances. Wow!

Be happy the house/condo/apt sold & you got your money & be done with it!
Valued Contributor
I would leave a couple of fresh rolls of paper towels and toilet paper plus the ones already there, and some hand soap.

I would not leave champagne in the fridge for the new owners, as one poster mentioned, just in case one or more of the new owners were recovering alcoholics.

Also, I agree with the poster who said it’s very childish behavior to remove all the lightbulbs because of issues another poster had with the new buyers.
Respected Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

@queendiva 

Had to laugh at your amusing post about not only removing toilet paper, but also light bulbs, because you apparently weren't fond of the "demanding buyers".

As a former residential real estate agent and later a broker, I'm surprised the demanding buyers didn't try to get you to comply with the usual sales contract clause requiring all electrical systems (and others) be in "working order" at the time of settlement.

I would have had my buyer-cllients require the seller to replace bulbs so the electrical system could be fully tested during a pre-settlement walkthrough inspection on the day of closing.

Reminds me of tricks often pulled by sellers such as using area or throw rugs to cover up major hardwood floor damage that isn't discovered until much later.

Good for you for getting off easy with some pesky buyers.  LOL!!

All they needed to do was to leave one lightbulb if the buyer required a test for each fixture.  I can understand because I had a good elderly friend, the seller,  who was taken to court by a buyer, and the seller won, thrown out by the court.  The buyers were really ugly people.  

Honored Contributor

Everyone should know this by now:  Leave the light bulbs; take the toilet paper and the cannoli.