Esteemed Contributor

My daughter recently sold her house and is turning in the keys tomorrow...

She did a final walk-thru to make sure that she didn't leave anything...

I saw her take the toliet paper and paper towels.....

I told her she should have left that....and she said that she wouldn't want to use someone elses toliet paper.....

What do you guys think?

Honored Contributor

I had to smile at your wondering about this as I have too when moving.

Would someone think like your daughter said, no they wouldn't want to use it?

Or then I thought what if they had so wished someone could have at least left some just in case they hadn't brought any. Would they be grateful?

I've done both but I think it doesn't hurt to leave If they don't have any they may appreciate it. People don't often think to carry some with them before they move in.

And if they don't want to use it they can throw it out.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

My daughter recently sold her house and is turning in the keys tomorrow...

She did a final walk-thru to make sure that she didn't leave anything...

I saw her take the toliet paper and paper towels.....

I told her she should have left that....and she said that she wouldn't want to use someone elses toliet paper.....

What do you guys think?

what happens when she uses a bathroom at a store or restaurant??? byotp

Respected Contributor

The only things I would leave in a house I sold would be all of the instruction manuals for any appliances included in the sale.  

Like your daughter, I would never use any tissue or paper towels left behind so I would not leave them.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I would most definitely leave the paper products. Her reasoning makes no sense whatsoever. I assume she takes toilet paper with her everywhere she goes as she does not use someone else's?

Honored Contributor

What a strange question,is what i think.Woman Surprised

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

I removed the TP from 2 of my sold homes because the buyers were demanding and nasty. Removed the light bulbs, too!

Valued Contributor

The people buying the house have used public bathrooms before ,  I’m sure . How many people have used the same toilet paper roll before  them —dozens . I’d leave it .

Valued Contributor

I would leave a wrapped roll, just in case they didin't bring any with them to use right away.  Same for paper towels.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva 

Had to laugh at your amusing post about not only removing toilet paper, but also light bulbs, because you apparently weren't fond of the "demanding buyers".

As a former residential real estate agent and later a broker, I'm surprised the demanding buyers didn't try to get you to comply with the usual sales contract clause requiring all electrical systems (and others) be in "working order" at the time of settlement.

I would have had my buyer-cllients require the seller to replace bulbs so the electrical system could be fully tested during a pre-settlement walkthrough inspection on the day of closing.

Reminds me of tricks often pulled by sellers such as using area or throw rugs to cover up major hardwood floor damage that isn't discovered until much later.

Good for you for getting off easy with some pesky buyers.  LOL!!