Honored Contributor

Re: Learning correct English

@MoJoV wrote:

I hear my pet peeve alot when I happen to be watching any shopping channel.  It's got,it's got, it's got.  They all say it.

@MoJoV, can you honestly swear that you have never used "got" inappropriately? I seriously doubt it.

What time did you get home last night? I got home at midnight.

I hope that I don't get the measles.

I can't remember how I got here.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  Of course I've used the word got wrong innumerable times. I'm not the correct grammar snob,but "it's got" starts getting to me...just sounds bad. OK?

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I taught grammar and English for many years. You are not considered literate and fluent in any language until you can speak, read, and write it correctly. There are many illiterate people who have been influenced by other languages coming into schools..
speaking and conversation in English is put first for esol. Tech also makes it difficult to learn or speak English correctly when those programming our phones and computers are not native English speakers. You can see many words spelled phonetically rather than correctly in articles and all over advertisements.
Valued Contributor

I didn't read this whole thread but I say should've and would've all the time. That's what I assume most people say, not should of. 

Contributor

@Juniper2 wrote:

What is the point of some of us learning to speak English correctly when the requirement to speak English at all in the US is diminishing?  English may just go the way of cursive writing.

@Juniper2, thankfully, there has never been such a requirement. Any country that forces all their citizens to speak one language is not a country in which I would ever want to reside.

@suzyQ3 

How can a country function as a unified country if its citizens can't communicate properly with each other?  Seems to me that would just serve to segregate unnecessarily.  I know if I had to struggle to make conversation with someone, I would not try as hard.   

Honored Contributor

@Juniper2 wrote:

@Juniper2 wrote:

What is the point of some of us learning to speak English correctly when the requirement to speak English at all in the US is diminishing?  English may just go the way of cursive writing.

@Juniper2, thankfully, there has never been such a requirement. Any country that forces all their citizens to speak one language is not a country in which I would ever want to reside.

@suzyQ3 

How can a country function as a unified country if its citizens can't communicate properly with each other?  Seems to me that would just serve to segregate unnecessarily.  I know if I had to struggle to make conversation with someone, I would not try as hard.   

Some can have perfect  grammar and even diction but are not able to communicate properly!!  It's not correct grammar but intention and the way something is stated that makes communication effective!!!

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I taught grammar and English for many years. You are not considered literate and fluent in any language until you can speak, read, and write it correctly. There are many illiterate people who have been influenced by other languages coming into schools..
speaking and conversation in English is put first for esol. Tech also makes it difficult to learn or speak English correctly when those programming our phones and computers are not native English speakers. You can see many words spelled phonetically rather than correctly in articles and all over advertisements.

This country was built on immigration. American English is richly colored with words from other countries and other languages as well as words from Native American languages.

Our culture was and should continue to be one of fluidity of language, customs and acceptance. Not all of us are descended from the British Isles and I like it that way. I hope we continue to be influenced by other languages forever.

Honored Contributor

@Juniper2 wrote:

@Juniper2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

@Juniper2   Give me your tired your poor. Oops, maybe we should change her words to Keep Out, we are haters here now!

Respected Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Happy New Years is the one that makes me crazy...we only have one year we are celebrating. Happy New Year!!

lol!😂and happy valentimes day! 😂

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Juniper2 wrote:

@Juniper2 wrote:

@suzyQ3 

@Juniper2   Give me your tired your poor. Oops, maybe we should change her words to Keep Out, we are haters here now!

@proudlyfromNJ   We are not haters here now.  The quote from Lady Liberty has nothing to do with learning English.

I taught ESL night classes to adults for years.  Was I a hater to teach Englsih?  Of course not.  My students couldn't wait to learn the language of their new country.

The key is English as a SECOND language, not English only and forget your native language.

And English IS our language here.

Of course we have blends of other languages; that's a given.  People from all around the world bring their language, culture, etc. and nobody is asking them to toss that all away.

We have vocabulary that is now standard language in this country.

When new arrivals do not learn at least basic English, it puts them in an enclosed area with only people who can communicate with them.

We also have a rich culture in this country;  there is room for everyone to learn from each other.

But communicating in language that all can use, even in a basic manner, will actually bring people in a more unified manner instead of isolating by whatever language they speak.

I'm getting tired of hearing the word "haters" when helping new arrivals adapt in a more productive way is looked at as something bad.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh