Honored Contributor

Re: Learn from Mistakes of Others

Two years ago I totally got rid of everything, every stitch of clothing I owned. They all still fit and were in good condition

I just got tired of Eileen Fisher clothes, and preferred something a bit more fitted

I have been updating every since...One of these days I will be done, and rest on my laurels...I am a clothes horse, always have been, and probably always will be..There are far worse things in life

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Two years ago I totally got rid of everything, every stitch of clothing I owned. They all still fit and were in good condition

I just got tired of Eileen Fisher clothes, and preferred something a bit more fitted

I have been updating every since...One of these days I will be done, and rest on my laurels...I am a clothes horse, always have been, and probably always will be..There are far worse things in life

Now that is a commitment to change! I’ve purged brands that no longer were used or didn’t fit my lifestyle, but it was a process. I have everything in one rather small walk-in closet and two dressers. I have enjoyed my wardrobe so much more knowing that I like and wear what I have. Have lost enough weight since last winter that I donated everything that was sloppy big on me.

Living in a four-season area means I have clothing reserved for weather extremes, but it’s worn when appropriate. Still need to tackle my coats. For some reason I have a harder time purging outerwear. Did donate 6 coats/jackets and tossed a few that were simply ancient. 

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam   I love my Birkis, but resisted buying Gizahs for years due to the toe thong. Finally broke down and bought a pair....why did I wait so long.  I reach for my Gizahs constantly!

Honored Contributor

@mac116   Congratulations!  You might want to release those larger sizes as a commitment to sealing the deal on where you are now M/L.  That is a huge accomplishment and I'll bet you feel great!

Honored Contributor

@cherry   OOOOOOhhhhhh.....I love Eileen Fisher clothing.  But it sounds as if you are a lot happier with your current wardrobe and that is what counts!

@cherry wrote:

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd  I kept 1 of her garments and the rest went...I wore the stuff for years. You can't destroy her clothes. Sometimes you know , you need to update. So now other ladies can enjoy them

Honored Contributor

When I retired, I had to actually buy everyday wear...mostly jeans and tees or simple tops. My work clothes became church and going out to dinner clothes. So glad I have always bought and worn classic styles, not trendy, so I can still use my work clothes and dress them up with accessories like scarves, etc.
Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
When I retired, I had to actually buy everyday wear...mostly jeans and tees or simple tops. My work clothes became church and going out to dinner clothes. So glad I have always bought and worn classic styles, not trendy, so I can still use my work clothes and dress them up with accessories like scarves, etc.

@lovesrecess The same thing happened to me!  I only wore casual clothes on the weekends, and not that much then because we would have meetings to attend, dinners to go to and so forth.  When I suddenly retired, I had very little to wear.  

But, being the clothes horse that I am, I have been buying knit outfits, jeans, casual shirts, denim, tshirts . . . and then, of course I needed new bras and such to wear with the new casual wear, and then, oh, shoes!  Yes, I needed something other than heels to wear, so there were sandals and some cute flats to match my new outfits, and oh, espadrilles and . . . 

I'm hopeless.

Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19 @Why don’t you just wear those beautiful logo pieces around the house and enjoy them.My friend years ago told me she had stopped saving all of her good things for special occasions and just enjoyed them for her own sake.She said she loves eating daily meals on her good dishes and wearing her cashmere sweaters to relax or go grocery shopping.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Jasmine19 @Why don’t you just wear those beautiful logo pieces around the house and enjoy them.My friend years ago told me she had stopped saving all of her good things for special occasions and just enjoyed them for her own sake.She said she loves eating daily meals on her good dishes and wearing her cashmere sweaters to relax or go grocery shopping.

I like that idea and plan on putting it into practice. We should find our joy whereever we can in life. This gives me an excuse to pamper myself even more.😊

~~~All you we need is LOVE💖