Respected Contributor

Re: Learn from Mistakes of Others

The mistake I made was to invest in prints. A few are all I need. I’ve gone back to buying basics and can mix and match a lot of outfits with fewer pieces and also use accessories to change up the look. 

Respected Contributor

@ Sooner
I agree with you on casual clothing, especially clothes that I would wear on daily basis. If I find a pant that fits and looks good on me, I would like in black and another color.
Respected Contributor

I have spread out my "collection" of clothing to several closets....and those storage cubes that have the clear front with zippers and stack!  I don't know what I have anymore or what even fits much less WHY in the world did I ever buy some of it!

I need to commit to sorting it out....bagging it up...taking to S.A. and then to STOP doing this insane behavior!Woman Sad

I tend to only wear a small amount of items....and only require a few items for the times I go somewhere that I must dress up.  This should be easy but every time I look at it all I just say it's too much!!  

Respected Contributor

@ Bugonbike
I can’t tell you how much your post resounds with me. Collector is a good word. I often buy at end of season good price but SAVE for when I need, special occasion, etc. Price tags often stay on until next year.

And work clothes, I too wish I had held back some purchases, but they did boost my morale in a somewhat thankless job.
Respected Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
@ Sooner
I agree with you on casual clothing, especially clothes that I would wear on daily basis. If I find a pant that fits and looks good on me, I would like in black and another color.

Same here. I’ll buy several colors in tops and pants that fit well. I have gone back for other colors in casual shoes too. Especially with online shopping, this reduces the guess work (and return fee) out of the choice. 

Honored Contributor

Because I purchase classics in specific colors, I have items that are 20 years old and still look great today. What I go through are shoes.

I tend to wear the same style as part of my "uniform"; boring I'm sure, but it works for me. I wear a large size (11 or 12 depending on the design and vendor). When I find a style that works for me, I stock up on them (if possible) because it isn't finding a comfortable and good looking shoe that will fit my orthotics. Wearing shoes daily,(even with rotating), the wear is pretty bad after about 7 months or so. When I find my Gizah's on sale, I always buy a few pairs because nothing is better for my feet than those.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear the same things every day -- don't need or want a lot of clothes anymore.

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

I have spread out my "collection" of clothing to several closets....and those storage cubes that have the clear front with zippers and stack!  I don't know what I have anymore or what even fits much less WHY in the world did I ever buy some of it!

I need to commit to sorting it out....bagging it up...taking to S.A. and then to STOP doing this insane behavior!Woman Sad

I tend to only wear a small amount of items....and only require a few items for the times I go somewhere that I must dress up.  This should be easy but every time I look at it all I just say it's too much!!  

I have done the same thing. I have filled my closet, the spare bedroom closet and countless Rubbermaid tubs with more clothing than I will ever wear. I did a large purge earlier this summer, the vehicle was packed with clothing twice.

Now it is time to tackle all the Rubbermaid tubs. They are filled mostly with sweaters and long sleeve tops. 

And I also wear a small amount of items. I really should do more purging and get down to one closet.

Trusted Contributor

I am in the same boat as many of you.  I am a yo-yo eater/dieter.  I have clothes that run the gamut of size medium to 1X, with wardrobes of every size in between.  When I still worked, I needed clothes that looked good. 

Now that I am retired, I have stayed the same size for a year (M on the bottom and L on the top).  I am just afraid to get rid of the larger sizes...yet!

Honored Contributor

I still buy multiple solid colors of basic items like tees, sweaters, & pants because I know they will fit & be worn often. I never buy a print piece in multiple colors.

I bought way too many clothing items in the past. I had 3 portable closets and several bins full of clothing in my basement. I pared down my wardrobe considerably by doing ruthless purges the last several years.

Everything for all 4 seasons is now in one closet & 2 dressers. I still love to shop so it is always a work in progress.