Regular Contributor

Leah is a great host.  She wass asked to change her because another person where she worked had the same name.  She sais now there will be two Leah's.  I will not change my name.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Spurt & @J Town Girl - it's just my opinion but I think it was rude to ask you to change your name.  

@CelticCrafter 

I was a newly hired employee and they had seniority and a higher grade..and it was just to eliminate confusion in the office...so I decided to play office politics since I needed the job and hoped to get promoted some day....And both those ladies did eventually retire which ended the problem......

@Spurt 

After they retired did you return to your own name?

I know someone this happened to, and have wondered how it would feel.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: Leah's real name

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Spurt & @J Town Girl - it's just my opinion but I think it was rude to ask you to change your name.  

@CelticCrafter 

I was a newly hired employee and they had seniority and a higher grade..and it was just to eliminate confusion in the office...so I decided to play office politics since I needed the job and hoped to get promoted some day....And both those ladies did eventually retire which ended the problem......

@Spurt 

@Drythe 

Yep, I sure did....told them I was going to use my legal name....and how this was more appropriate for business purposes

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

@Spurt 

@Drythe 

Yep, I sure did....told them I was going to use my legal name....and how this was more appropriate for business purposes

@Spurt 

Good for you, it generally does work out best to play nicely in the sandbox!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

@Spurt 

@Drythe 

@Spurt 

Good for you, it generally does work out best to play nicely in the sandbox!

@Drythe 

And by that time they respected and valued my work contribution.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I remember in elementary school in my 4th grad class, there were two Brian's....so the teacher changed on boy's name to BJ( his middle name was Joseph) and I think from then on he was called BJ all the way through to high school.   BJ just stuck as his name. 

Esteemed Contributor

Leah is the best at her job and now only host named Leah.

Glad she stood her ground.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

It's not uncommon in careers with customers service contact and not necessarily important jobs.  One of my first jobs right out of college was in the customer service department of a large insurance company;  one of the girls I trained had to change her first name because there was already a rep on staff with her name.  It would have generated confusion with phone calls, letters and even subscriber complaints.  On another job a few years later, my boss opted to keep her maiden name at work because if she used her married name at work, she'd have been confused with someone who had nearly an identical name.  She couldn't use a hyphenated surname because that would have been much to long.

Respected Contributor

One time there were 5 of us with the same first name, which is unusual because I've never met 5 people in my entire life with my name.  We were not asked to change.  Recently, I received an email intended for someone else with my first name (auto correct just chose me first) - so now I am known as my name #1.  :-)

Respected Contributor

When my girlfriend Ginger started school - Catholic school - she had to change her name because "Ginger" was not a saint's name.  

Another woman I knew had her husband change his last name before they got married - she thought it was too ethnic.