Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lawsuit Filed to freeze shooters assets

Well a poster said the HOTEL was being sued for insufficient exits. 

As far as the venue itself I am sure they met the requirements that are in place or a permit to hold the event would not have been granted.

Sometimes I think lawyers throw all kinds of mud around just hoping to find something that sticks.  MEanwhile the party being sued often has to pay their lawyers to defend against frivolous suits.  This causes businesses to raise prices to pay for the cost of defending these suits.

Honored Contributor

The brother of the shooter has stated publicly that he thinks the money should go to the victims. I hope he will continue to feel that way.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Believe it or not I read that some of the families are suing the concert venue/promoter too. There were metal detectors at the entrance but I don't know how they could have had the forethought to wonder if their guests would be safe from a sniper shooting from a high rise building that was 400 yards away!!!  

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

The brother of the shooter has stated publicly that he thinks the money should go to the victims. I hope he will continue to feel that way.

The brother is co-owner of some of the businesses and properties and if those need to be sold so the proceeds can go to all the victims....he just may change his mind.  

Respected Contributor

I can see how freezing his assets makes sense right now.

I don't see how the hotel would be neglible...

Honored Contributor

The fact that this guy was 'rich' does at least give victims something to recoup some of their financial losses from this event, and every dime he had should be taken for that. 

I know I'm dreaming here, but it would be great if the lawyers didn't take big fees to get this accomplished, but let the bulk of the money go to victims and their families. Not saying they shouldn't get paid at all, but just hope as much of this guys assets go to the victims.

Gotta wonder in all his planning, if it ever occurred to him his money might end up with the victims, and if it had, how it might have effected the events.

Honored Contributor

Oh, please.  It's just one greedy family who is afraid that with so many victims, they won't get a big payout from the all that money that is flowing into the GoFundme and other accounts like that.  The Boston Marathon vicitms who lost their lives or were seriously injured became millionaires.  Even those with minor injuries received nice amounts from the funds.  But with the numbers in this case and the recent hurricanes; that probably won't be the case with the NV shooting victims.  I haven't heard any lawyers weigh in on this but my guess is that since shooter died and was no trial; it might be a very hard sell to get to his money and it would take a very long time.  I think if I survived that shooting, I'd be so grateful that money would be the last thing on my mind.  

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I do not see how the number of exits the hotel.had matters.    THe victims were not inside the hotel.

That's what I thought; the festival was outside.  I'm sure that hotel will be sued for having windows. and allowing guests with luggage to check in.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Oh, please.  It's just one greedy family who is afraid that with so many victims, they won't get a big payout from the all that money that is flowing into the GoFundme and other accounts like that.  The Boston Marathon vicitms who lost their lives or were seriously injured became millionaires.  Even those with minor injuries received nice amounts from the funds.  But with the numbers in this case and the recent hurricanes; that probably won't be the case with the NV shooting victims.  I haven't heard any lawyers weigh in on this but my guess is that since shooter died and was no trial; it might be a very hard sell to get to his money and it would take a very long time.  I think if I survived that shooting, I'd be so grateful that money would be the last thing on my mind.  

I'm not usually into a money grab, but I can tell you that as soon as someone wakes up in the hospital with severe injuries, or someone walks into that funeral home to make final arrangements for someone who was a major source of the family's income, the reality of how they are going to survive financially is in the forefront of their minds.

The house payment still comes due each month, the heat has to come on in the winter. The kids still need educated, and the family still needs the health insurance that is tied to the injured/deceased job.

Many of the injured will have special needs for the rest of their lives that may run into the millions of dollars for their care.

As time passes, money seems to become more important for survival than at any time before, mostly because of our advancements. People are no longer self sufficient or are families capable of taking on all of our debts/care in today's world like may have happened generations ago. 

So I find it hard to fault people, who through no fault of their own, had their lives taken or altered forever, and rendered unable to provide for themselves or their loved ones in the same capacity they were just over a week ago. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree I don't think anyone who gets compensation in this case is greedy.Those people were out simply enjoying themselves and ended up either dead or with life changing wounds.They might not be able to pay their hospital bills or be bankrupted with those costs.Some might be disabled and never work or be able to care for themselves or their families again.I think the shooter should be held totally accountable and all of his assets should be used to help the victims of his horrific act.