Respected Contributor

Lawsuit Filed to freeze shooters assets

A lawsuit was filed to prevent the girlfriend and his relatives from inheriting his assets.  

I hope the families of all 58 and the 500 + survivors are compensated so they don't loose their homes, cars, etc and are able to continue to provide food and shelter for their loved ones.  Some of the injuries are horrific and they will not be able to resume their life as it was before the concert anytime soon.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Lawsuit Filed to freeze shooters assets

[ Edited ]

So far the lawsuit has been filed by one family and includes suing the hotel for not having adequate exits.  I'm sure other families will sign on.

Honored Contributor

Suing the hotel is a money grab imo.

Respected Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Suing the hotel is a money grab imo.

I don't agree Sydney but based on what happened at the movie theater in 2012 when James Holmes shot and killed 12 and injured 70 in Colorado, it doesn't appear to be a winnable lawsuit for negligence.  The theater had hired many experts to prove that the danger could not have been foreseen. The victims only could afford to hire 1 expert and they lost their lawsuit against the theater in 2016.  Now, in Columbine, the victims and families of the survivors did succeed in suing the family of the two shooters where it was determined that they should have known that their kids were accumulating firearms and therefore could have been foreseen.  

Respected Contributor

The MGM has donated to gofundme las vegas that was set up by Mr Sisolak $3 million dollars.  Sheldon Adelson who owns the Venetian and has no ties to the MGM donated $4 million!

Google

I-Team: questions raised about GoFundMe account for shooting victims

Esteemed Contributor

I was wondering how long it was going to be before that was filed....I hope that it doesn't end up in the Court system for years

Esteemed Contributor

I do not see how the number of exits the hotel.had matters.    THe victims were not inside the hotel.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

I do not see how the number of exits the hotel.had matters.    THe victims were not inside the hotel.

No, not about exits @KathyPet but about the reluctance of lawyers to take on the MGM by citing comparisons to another shooting and who had the deeper pockets to hire experts to prove that there was no negligence.  

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

I suspect they were talking about the number of exits at the concert scene. People were climbing over the fence to escape. There's a video on YouTube (or was for a while) shot from a taxi driving up to the Mandalay Bay just as the shooting started. The driver could hear the shooting and sat in the cab wondering what was going on. Word reached her on the radio not to stay there as there was an active shooter and as she drove away she was yelling to the pople hanging around the lobby and outside to get under cover as someone was shooting. As she drove from the scene she went past the concert site and people were climbing the fence to escape. Some jumped into her cab and described hundreds and thousands of people being shot and dead. (A good example of why not to rely on eyewitness descriptions.) She dropped them off at a shopping center as the video ended, but it's pretty dramatic stuff to watch. I wouldn't recommend the video if you're a tad sensitive as it's pretty dramatic.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

All his money should be used to compensate the victims.I wonder if his relatives are going to claim the inheritance.