Respected Contributor

Re: Laws Re: Stopping for School Buses Vary from State to State

I did not know laws varied? We just had an article in our weekly newspaper about cars ignoring the stop lights. Evidently a bus driver grabbed a teen by the hood just in time saving his life. One parent said she witnessed it in the A.M. several times and was trying to catch the licence plate number.

Regular Contributor

I always stop for school buses no matter what road we are on or which direction.However, I do often see people who don't stop at all. 

I live on a street with a hospital on it and we see a lot of ambulances go by. Often cars do not get out of the ambulances way, and the ambulances have to jump the curb and drive up people's grass to get by them.

I think people should have to retake a drivers test every 10 years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the State of Ohio, it depends on which way you are traveling and how many lanes of traffic there are as to whether you have to stop or not. 

If you are on a 2 lane road, regardless of which way the bus and you are traveling, you have to stop.  If you are on a 4 lane highway, you only have to stop if you are going in the same direction as the bus.  If you are going northbound and the bus is going southbound, you don't have to stop and vice versa.

Children don't ever cross a 4 lane highway to get to a bus.  Unfortunately, I run into this every morning and it makes me nuts.  I drive up a 4 lane highway to get to work.  I am heading south and a school bus is heading north.  And every single morning people in front of me, also heading south, unnesessarily stop for the school bus. 

I wish people knew the laws.  You aren't doing anyone any favors by stopping when you don't need to stop.  Again, children do not cross a 4 lane highway to get on or off a school bus.     

Regular Contributor

When in doubt you should stop. The important thing is to not hit any kids.

No one can possibly know every law in every state.

Honored Contributor

@patofl wrote:

When in doubt you should stop. The important thing is to not hit any kids.

No one can possibly know every law in every state.

No one is saying everyone should know the laws in every state.  But you should certainly know all the traffic laws in your own state.

Honored Contributor

Having to stop across a divided highway from a stopped school bus is nonsense and, not only slows traffic, causes accidents. No child would be crossing over a medial strip.