Honored Contributor

Law & Order Question to Ponder

A couple of days ago, I watched a Law & Order rerun about a missing boy later found dead. 

A high school student was employed by the six year old's mother to walk him home from school and see him safely inside. However, the student got a text from a girl telling him her parents would be gone for a couple of hours and inviting him to her house. The student decided, because it was only three blocks to the boy's home, to go to the girl's home instead of seeing the boy home. The boy was abducted and later found dead in a park.

The question to ponder: Should the high school student be charged with a crime? If so, what should the charge be?

Respected Contributor

Re: Law & Order Question to Ponder

Since irreponsibility isn't a crime; there is nothing to charge him with.  He wouldn't be charged because he didn't do anything that contributed to the child's abduction.  He just made a very bad decision that had a tragic result. 

Honored Contributor

He was no different from a nanny, a paid employee. If a child died due to the nanny's negligence she would be charged.

Trusted Contributor

This may sound bizarre to you, but could a claim be made against the teen's parents' homeowner's insurance?  I have heard of such claims in the past for offenses such as property damage.  A crime is a crime ...

Honored Contributor

@sashamatthews wrote:

This may sound bizarre to you, but could a claim be made against the teen's parents' homeowner's insurance?  I have heard of such claims in the past for offenses such as property damage.  A crime is a crime ...

I can't imagine there's a homeowner's insurance policy in the country that would cover this.

"A crime is a crime..." 

That's true, but unless the law specifies an action IS a crime, one cannot be charged with a crime. Many things are immoral but are not crimes that one can be charged with.

Honored Contributor

The young boy didn't commit a crime.  He may have used poor judgment, but that isn't a crime.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

The question to ponder: Should the high school student be charged with a crime? If so, what should the charge be?

One child is dead and that's terrible. I see no reason to ruin the life of the teenager on top of that. He has to live with the fact that he enabled that kidnapping - I think that's enough.

If anything that terrible happened to a child of mine, I would hope that my grief would not cause me to seek vengeance on that teenager, 

Honored Contributor

I would never rely on a 16 yr old these days to be responsible for my child. I would question the mothers common sense and she needs to be culpable in this case.

Respected Contributor

I do not think hiring an underage teenager to walk a child home is the same as hiring a full-time adult nanny to watch a child.

He was negligent but I doubt they'd go to trial over it.  Maybe the parents are negligent for having an older child do their parenting.

Frequent Contributor

I can't imagine any amount of incareration could be more punishing than the guilt he will have to carry with him for the rest of his life.  The guilt, reaction from his parents and those who know his involvement will be punishment enough for his lapse in judgement. 

Most people find it very hard to get on with life after something like this.  I hope he finds a way to heal.  As another poster said - one child is already lost.  No need to lose another.

I hope the monster that killed the little boy is locked away permanently or is dead.