Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Well before you take to heart any "prophecies" or "predictions" from this scientist......Interesting info from a Scientfic Journal---National Center For Biotechnology Information--

It is currently impossible to predict the emergence of a future pandemic other than to strongly suspect that one will eventually occur, or to predict when or where a future pandemic will occur, what subtype it will be, and what degree of morbidity and mortality it will produce.

To me its like saying....hey I know there will be hurricanes in Florida, but when, how many, and how severe one can only estimate and guess....To me that sums up these predictions by Laurie Garrett....

@Spurt, "other than to strongly suspect that will eventually occur." That's exactly what she and others in the field have been warning us about for quite some time now.

@suzyQ3 

Without specific facts and surety all she is doing is creating panic and overreaction and fear.....  To use my analogy, every year hurricane season starts in June, so do those that live in Florida start to panic in June and start to prepare for a hurricane that may or may not come, or do they wait until its a definite fact and a hurricane is imminent and then take definite action---start to board up, stock up, and travel to a safer place....its the later not the former...There's a fine line between being prepared and OVER-REACTING which starts the fear, the panicing, and the hoarding!!! 

@homedecor1   You live in Florida, to help with my analogy what do you do????.....Do you plan in June at the start of hurricane season, or wait to see what actually happens???

@Spurt, apparently she wasn't overreacting. Here's the difference between the two: With a possible hurricane, you might get away with waiting to prepare until it is imminent. I guess it depends upon when people find out that it is imminent. As long as they perpare their house, stock up, and have plan...fine.

That is not even remotely similar to being able to handle an eventual pandemic. There should be an government agency who creates a blueprint for what we will need and how we will proceed. This would be ongoing. And yes, we did have such a thing. Too bad it wasn't allowed to stick around. Some just don't have the forsight and desire to worry about something that will happen in the future.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

There continue to be all kinds of back and forth, and flat statements presented as though they are definitive, that have been disputed.

On March 16, in the Washington Post, Tim Morrison, who was there, disputed that the pandemic response office had been "dissolved",  as some in the media, and their allies, had claimed.   The former Senior Director for counterproliferation and biodefense on the National Security Council, wrote that both congressional oversight committees and even members of the previous administration had agreed the office was bloated, too large, and needed to be reduced in size.  In no way he says, was it disbanded. 

I believe when flat statements are made about actions of the government, that the full circumstances should be referenced.  It's only fair.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

re: hurricanes

Not a thing! Well I do buy new batteries for my flameless candles, flashlights and 1 case of bottled water.

I guess you realize I'm not a person who goes for hype --like the  "doom & gloom" of the pandemic that didn't happen in our area as predicted🙄 about the Spring Breakers contaminating our beaches & people.  Most were in Hillsborough county not Pinellas County.  

Two years ago it hit was "supposed" to hit our area and recommended evacuation but not mandatory.  My spouse took lanai stuff in & it never came...well, high winds but nothing else. We slept thru it😳.

I think we are in a wierd area that thankfully everything it passes us by!🤷‍♀️😉😀

All day now that FL is basically open every news outlet has been focusing on upcoming hurricane season ...and it starts...

Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

There continue to be all kinds of back and forth, and flat statements presented as though they are definitive, that have been disputed.

On March 16, in the Washington Post, Tim Morrison, who was there, disputed that the pandemic response office had been "dissolved",  as some in the media, and their allies, had claimed.   The former Senior Director for counterproliferation and biodefense on the National Security Council, wrote that both congressional oversight committees and even members of the previous administration had agreed the office was bloated, too large, and needed to be reduced in size.  In no way he says, was it disbanded. 

I believe when flat statements are made about actions of the government, that the full circumstances should be referenced.  It's only fair.

I guess they just lost the 69 page pamphlet titled Pandemic Playbook. Also during the transmission they (Incoming and outgoing teams) went through a role playing of how to handle a pandemic. Of course the original incoming team members had all changed (been fired).

Esteemed Contributor

Well, let's see...should I take pandemic advice from a scientist like Garrett or people marching around State Houses with weapons on display? Hmmm.... decisions decisions.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

=========================================================

But the PROBLEM is comments are not allowed to get political.  I could give details, names, agencies etc. but my comment would not get "approved."  This is not a state secret and easy to read about at any legit news site.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

I had thought about posting about her!   A brilliant woman who has seen it all and been right in the middle of it, including ebola.

Honored Contributor

Re: Laurie Garrett

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I agree with you @Oznell. And some of those crying foul and not really seeing or at least not reporting the whole picture are among those who would be calling out for other posters to back up their opinions and cite their sources... The likely fact is that their perspectives are in large part partisan and they see what they want to see to support their preconceived notions and their existing ideologies...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Spurt 

re: hurricanes

Not a thing! Well I do buy new batteries for my flameless candles, flashlights and 1 case of bottled water.

I guess you realize I'm not a person who goes for hype --like the  "doom & gloom" of the pandemic that didn't happen in our area as predicted🙄 about the Spring Breakers contaminating our beaches & people.  Most were in Hillsborough county not Pinellas County.  

Two years ago it hit was "supposed" to hit our area and recommended evacuation but not mandatory.  My spouse took lanai stuff in & it never came...well, high winds but nothing else. We slept thru it😳.

I think we are in a wierd area that thankfully everything it passes us by!🤷‍♀️😉😀

All day now that FL is basically open every news outlet has been focusing on upcoming hurricane season ...and it starts...

@homedecor1 

Your plan sounds very sensible for both hurricanes and the pandemic.... Take Care and STAY SAFE for both!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

"People should have 6 - 8 months worth of money saved for emergencies" .

Here is the cold, hard un-sugarcoated truth, since that's what people want to hear.

lot of people CAN'T save up that kind of money, because they don't have it in the first place!

When you are starting off living paycheck to paycheck, and barely making ends meet, you don't have the luxury (and yes, that's exactly what it is. A luxury) to save 6 - 8 months worth.

And do not feed me that line of b.s. where "if there's a will, there's a way" .

You wanted the truth to not be sugarcoated?

There's your un-sugarcoated truth.

And if someone can't see that, then maybe they need to come down off of that ivory tower that they've been living in, and mingle with us "peasants" , for a little bit of a reality check.

Forget about it @Anonymous032819 there's an awul lot of ivory tower hero worship and quite a few ivory tower wannabes floating around here these days...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...