Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have read about Garrett and find her creds exceptionally worthy.

After just finished listening to a whole lot of crazy, I really need to hear from others like Garrett or CDC or other scientists or anyone who can impart information that is based in reality.  Right now, this minute, I just want to cry.  Should have left the mute on.

Respected Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

After just finished listening to a whole lot of crazy, I really need to hear from others like Garrett or CDC or other scientists or anyone who can impart information that is based in reality.  Right now, this minute, I just want to cry.  Should have left the mute on.

@Free2be Crazy is putting it mildly!  Particularly the end of the Q & A session!

Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't watch crazy people on TV. If I need to know about what any particular crazy person did most recently to endanger millions, I can hear about it secondhand. Direct crazy is too much like an assault.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Shouldn't be spreading "prophet" stuff.  

Laurie Garrett is a respected sceintist and award winning journalist. She is as respected as Dr. Fauci and Dr. Birx.  She is often the expert on the Virus as Fauci and Birx. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I don't know when this woman made her prediction but a global pandemic has been predicted for years and years.  It's unlikely she was the first.

Garrett graduated with honors University of California, Santa Cruz, where she received a B.S. in biology in 1975.  She attended graduate school in the Department of Bacteriology and Immunology at University of California, Berkeley and did research at Stanford University with Leonard Herzenberg during her PhD studies.

She is highly regarded as a expert on Pandemics and along with many scientists, predicted this Pandemic.  That is why there was a Pandemic Team set up in the WH and also there was a Pandemic Playbook for this very circumstance.

Contributor

She's totally honest.  Does not give feel good answers. What I heard from her today is it's going to take three years for it to get back to what we think of as normal. And that may be a new normal.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I like  that she does not sugar coat anything....like Fauci and Birx does.  She states THE FACTS AS THEY ARE.  That is what we need. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I don't watch crazy people on TV. If I need to know about what any particular crazy person did most recently to endanger millions, I can hear about it secondhand. Direct crazy is too much like an assault.

It's like a wreck.  I can't not look.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Garrett, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, was prescient not only about the impact of H.I.V. but also about the emergence and global spread of more contagious pathogens.

Laurie Garrett, the prophet of this pandemic, expects years of death and “collective rage.”

This is an excerpt from a New York Times article May 2, 2020.

She saw it coming.  Steady yourself. Her crystal ball is dark.

“We need either a cure or a vaccine.”

But she can’t envision that vaccine anytime in the next year, while Covid-19 will remain a crisis much longer than that.

“I’ve been telling everybody that my event horizon is about 36 months, and that’s my best-case scenario,” she said.

“I’m quite certain that this is going to go in waves,” she added. “It won’t be a tsunami that comes across America all at once and then retreats all at once. It will be micro-waves that shoot up in Des Moines and then in New Orleans and then in Houston and so on, and it’s going to affect how people think about all kinds of things.”

They’ll re-evaluate the importance of travel. They’ll reassess their use of mass transit. They’ll revisit the need for face-to-face business meetings. They’ll reappraise having their kids go to college out of state

So, I asked, is “back to normal,” a phrase that so many people cling to, a fantasy?

“This is history right in front of us,” Garrett said. “Did we go ‘back to normal’ after 9/11? No. We created a whole new normal. We securitized the United States. We turned into an antiterror state. And it affected everything. We couldn’t go into a building without showing ID and walking through a metal detector, and couldn’t get on airplanes the same way ever again. That’s what’s going to happen with this.”

Not the metal detectors, but a seismic shift in what we expect, in what we endure, in how we adapt.Maybe in political engagement, too, Garrett said.

If America enters the next wave of coronavirus infections “with the wealthy having gotten somehow wealthier off this pandemic by hedging, by shorting, by doing all the nasty things that they do, and we come out of our rabbit holes and realize, ‘Oh, my God, it’s not just that everyone I love is unemployed or underemployed and can’t make their maintenance or their mortgage payments or their rent payments, but now all of a sudden those jerks that were flying around in private helicopters are now flying on private personal jets and they own an island that they go to and they don’t care whether or not our streets are safe,’ then I think we could have massive political disruption.”

“Just as we come out of our holes and see what 25 percent unemployment looks like,” she said, “we may also see what collective rage looks

@SeaMaiden 

Well puzzling she didnt mention all these hypocritical celebrities you know like the ones that use their private jets to travel to global warming rallies.....(they are also part of the do as I say, not as I do crowd) Is this the re-evaluating the importance of travel she was talking about!!! ......One film producer wished everyone well from his 590 milllion dollar yacht...yep, just like us ..."we are all in this together"....LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Laurie Garrett

[ Edited ]

To those referencing something crazy, I didn't see it but will probably read about it later. I purposely grant myself social distancing in this regard. :-)  Clicking it off is good for the soul.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland