Honored Contributor

Re: Laugh for the girls of the forum

Is this the one who is married to the boss's son?

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain Yes

And for those who say she isn't on maternity leave, she officially is.

But since she agreed to work from home for a year after the baby was born, in their minds, they think maternity leave means she works from home as agreed. 

I thought I'd hit the major BS asks. Not understanding the definition of maternity leave was the least of my shocks here.      

Honored Contributor

It sounds like a big company so I'm going to assume she's on her 13 week maternity leave so her bosses might have included her in the travel email but didn't intend it for her.  In my job when professional level employees were out on maternity or extended medical, they were included all travel and scheduling communications just to keep them in the loop.  When I was out for 6 weeks for my knee replacement, I remember being a little ticked off at being asked if planned to attend this or that.  I just had to remind them I woukd not be available until 12/1.

But!  Travel in December if her maternity leave is over is an entirely different thing.  I

When she goes back to work, no one is going take her new mother status into account.  If she's back and she's just another worker.  She doesn't get special treatment because she had baby.  That is why many women use their 13 weeks maternity leave and then use vacation time or take time off without pay.  If that trip is a mandatory part of that woman's job, if her boss is insisting that she go, she only has two choices. Do her job or quit.  This is why some women don't breast feed, they want but it doesn't mesh with their jobs.  This isn't about childbirth.  Men know all about childbirth, women's bodies, nursing etc.  It's about the US failing to provide mothers and fathers with adequate parental leave.  There are places where women don't even get 13 weeks off and parental leave for the fathers is not existent.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree I agree although I don't think men get the full brunt of the physicality of the experience especially breast feeding. 

I think she and her husband are in for a shock as to how to balance career and parenting. I asked what they were going to do after she went back to the office with the baby and I got a blank stare.

You kind of should know that before you have a kid. I get unplanned pregnancies happen all the time but they are more blessed than most in many different ways. It's going to be interesting if I remain here to see it.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Laura14I think she and her husband are in for a shock as to how to balance career and parenting. I asked what they were going to do after she went back to the office with the baby and I got a blank stare."

I agree with you about people not knowing how hard parenting and work are and the balancing act it takes to keep both going.  The doctor's appointments alone are going to be a shock to their system.  The six week follow-up appointment with the gynecologist, the two month appointment with the pediatrician, etc. will be overwhelming.

Trusted Contributor

I can't tell you how many men do not know that women do not #1 from the same place the baby comes out of.

Grown men. Men who have children.

I ask this question of any man trying to mansplain about women's bodies. You would be surprised how many men are clueless. 

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Porcelain Yes

And for those who say she isn't on maternity leave, she officially is.

But since she agreed to work from home for a year after the baby was born, in their minds, they think maternity leave means she works from home as agreed. 

I thought I'd hit the major BS asks. Not understanding the definition of maternity leave was the least of my shocks here.      

No wait I got it wrong, you said they weren't married yet. But I'd say it sounds to me like they are at least common law married.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@JamandBread   Smiley LOL

@Porcelain Exactly. I didn't want to go there again. If you have a good memory like you, you know.

@lgfan I was in shock at the appointments and 9 hour seminar before the birth. Maybe I would have felt differently if it was me and my first child but I kept thinking to myself how much more time and testing can the hospital think of to run up the medical bill with nonsense? This woman is like 24-25 and not high risk. I swear they induced her only to have their Labor Day weekend free.    

Respected Contributor

Agreeing to work from home for one year is not maternity leave, it's working when she negotiated working from home did that include travel or did she negotiate no travel to be included.

Respected Contributor

My daughter is on maternity leave, she said her employer isn't even allowed to call and ask her a question they may have for the person filling in for her.  Working from home is still working and does not constitute maternity leave.  Maternity leave means zero work.