Honored Contributor

Laugh for the girls of the forum

In case you are in need of some humor this fine Tuesday, my coworker's wife who just had a baby a week in a half ago has been fielding offers from her bosses about her upcoming travel schedule.

The day after she gave birth, she was asked to travel to Nashville (about 5 hours away) on behalf of the company. She declined that opportunity and not surprisingly decided to spend the 24 hours after the birth of her first child with her newborn. 

She has now been offered three weeks in December to go to China in which her son will be three months old. My coworker told the mother of his child she was not leaving him with a three month old for three weeks.

I told him unless she plans on weaning the child, I want to see her pump breast milk for a non-existent infant on the 17 hour flight and then for 3 weeks after during her work meetings in a communist country.

I know ignorance of the female experience is rampant but I give you your entertainment for the day. Smiley Very Happy

It's honestly ridiculous that working women have to educate men about the basics of childbirth but I thought the day after work trip was over the top even for the most ignorant male among us. 

Zero offense to the men of the forum who I am sure would school their fellow boys in the common sense courtesies. I've never had a child either and even I know better. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Laugh for the girls of the forum

He would probably balk if he was asked to travel himself the day after a root canal.  Congrats to her and her new baby!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

An easy way to solve, go on maternity leave.

Trusted Contributor

I guess you have to laugh or you would cry. There are men making rules for women who have no idea about the female plumbing or how it works. Probably never occurred to the scheduling dolt that breasts fill with milk, even if there's no baby to drink it. And sitting for a 20 hour plane ride might not be the most comfortable for someone who passed a watermelon through their body. 

Ignorance at its finest and most misogynistic.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 I am thinking a seasonal spat of allergies would make the extra tissues not worth his baggage weight either. 

I agree with @JamandBread . You have to laugh not to cry or scream about it.   

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 

"The day after she gave birth, she was asked to travel to Nashville (about 5 hours away) on behalf of the company. She declined that opportunity and not surprisingly decided to spend the 24 hours after the birth of her first child with her newborn. 

She has now been offered three weeks in December to go to China in which her son will be three months old. My coworker told the mother of his child she was not leaving him with a three month old for three weeks.

I told him unless she plans on weaning the child, I want to see her pump breast milk for a non-existent infant on the 17 hour flight and then for 3 weeks after during her work meetings in a communist country."

Was the company aware that she just had a baby because it sounds strange that a company would want a woman to travel the day after she gave birth.  

Honored Contributor

@lgfan That thought crossed my mind also.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lgfan Yes. From what I understand, she was working on site until they agreed to a year of working from home with occasional travel after the child was born so, unless they are blind as well as ignorant, they know.    

She did agree to travel at some point but within 24 hours of birth? I think someone needs to show the man a childbirth film. 

ETA: She also knew she was going to be induced a week before so the birth day was not a surprise to anyone either.

Trusted Contributor

Honestly when it comes to working in the US nothing surprises me.  Logically one would think that once you have a baby one wouldn't want to travel soon - but NO a boss (probably one without kids) woudn't understand that isn't happening.  

My husband's co-worker just gave her 2 weeks notice.  Her boss called and asked her if she would still be available to assist the salesman once she left (without paying her).  Luckily she was asked this on phone call or the boss would have seen the look of shock on her face.  US companies are completely clueless on how to take care of their workers.

Respected Contributor

I find it unusual she did not take maternity leave which might be the reason she is getting these offers especially the Nashville trip sounds as if they were not aware of her giving birth.  Apparently, there is a lot of travel involved in her job which would be very difficult for a new mother, sounds like she should have had this discussion before and outlined what her job would entail at a future date.  I'm not into male bashing, just as much her responsibility if she did not chose maternity leave or even if she did.