Respected Contributor

Re: Latest one to drop daily paper

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure how much we get billed for a yearly subscription for home delivery but it's more than we're willing to pay so we call and get a much lower price for it just as we do for cable service.  This year we're paying about $100 for a year.  Have any of you called and try to wrangle a better deal out of your local paper?  (They need us more than we need them and they know it.)  Our paper is in our driveway every morning by 6AM.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

This year we're paying about $100 for a year. 

Me too.  I am shocked about what you all are paying for home delivered newspapers. Smiley Surprised  Ain't no newspaper worth a morgage or rental payment.

Have any of you called and try to wrangle a better deal out of your local paper?  (They need us more than we need them and they know it.)

Since the age of 50 (same yr I retired) I pulled the "seniro citizen on a fixed income" card.   My bill has remained the same since the age of 50.  I am currently 69 yrs young.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

My local daily doesn't really provide national news, but I would miss the local information. I can get it online with my subscription, but I'm old school and I like my morning paper. I just got a letter this AM. from the paper where I subscribe to the Sunday edition ( a nearby city ) and the rate is going up again. I would miss it and the crossword, but I haven't decided. I hate doing the crossword online. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

My online subscription to the Chicago Tribune has just gone from $15.90 to $27.50.  I'm cancelling it.  I do not get any newspapers except online.  The NY TImes which I also get on line is still a reasonable, IMO, $15.90

Respected Contributor

DH's greatest enjoyment every morning is dong his crossword while having his coffee - so we will continue to pay the $50/month. Don't suggest doing crosswords online - it's not the same! I doubt the hard copy newspapers will last much longer anyway.

Esteemed Contributor

My father was a journalist and "newpaper man."  We had 7 papers coming to our house. He explained it when I asked about "so many, Dad?'" that every paper had a different TAKE or VIEWPOINT.  So he wanted to read it all.  

Now I have only one and about to get rid of it.  The national papers are too political for me.  In old tradition I really don't think they ought to take sides or promote on side over the other. My local paper basically tells about local events and so far I can tolerate a few viewpoints.  

Respected Contributor

We haven't signed up for newspapers in years.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE got on line subscription three years ago....very satisfied...get coupons, etc., on websites of retailers and on grocery store web sites.  No problem.  Sunday only was too expensive.

Honored Contributor

You got that right @Mz iMac   The first time I went to the local movie theater and got a senior discount I was delighted.  I leverage the heck out of any and all senior discounts (57).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

After at least 30+ years of home delivery from my local St. Louis daily, I canceled my subscription 3 years ago. I was tired of paying over $400/annually for home delivery, plus I don't agree with the political views of the newspaper. It was hard to get used to no newspaper to read when I got up, but I adjusted. I no longer miss it at all.