Trusted Contributor

Re: Latest one to drop daily paper

DH and I have been getting daily delivery for 50+ years. We would miss it terribly if we unsubscribed. We’ve negotiated for lower rate, pay about $230 a year for seven day delivery. Our delivery guy is the best; has paper in our driveway 6AM sharp. Hope it never shrinks down to 3 day/week publication. It’s the way we start our day with breakfast. I can understand working folks not needing delivery; their lives are so busy and center around tech devices, but we love a real paper, not digital. We had to pause delivery for 4 days while our street was being resurfaced, and we couldn’t wait to get that delivery started up again.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

cannot give up our newspaper delivery.......we still get the baltimore sun and the wall street journal.

reading a newspaper online, even reading a book online......cannot get used to it. i need the paper in my hands.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

We stopped getting ours, let's see, more than 10 years ago.  And I had written for them, on a free lance basis, for a few years!  But the cost was rising, and the quality and size seemed to be diminishing.

Always have been a bit of a 'news hound', and always will, so I thought I'd miss it a lot.  But, not so, surprisingly.  There are so many news sources, and we subscribe to opinion journals as well, so it wasn't a loss.  I enjoy crossword puzzles, especially to stay occupied while enduring tedious waits in doctor's offices, but I get crossword puzzle books and can tote those everywhere just as easily.    

Honored Contributor

Just got the renewal notice and was shocked.  For 7 days/year the price is $443.13 w/$30 fuel fee and tax😮😮

I would cancel but spouse is "old school" and thoroughly enjoys reading it front to back everyday! It's not thick - 3 parts and Sunday is not better, just lots of ad pages, very few sale inserts.  

Our delivery person is always here by 5 am & never misses a day.  we will pay it and it's still cheaper than going to 7-11 to pick it up.  Daily rate $1.50 Sunday's $3.50.  I rarely read it.

Esteemed Contributor

I had newspaper delivery most of my life, well, the younger years was because my parents had it delivered.  Once I became an adult, married and living in my house, I still had paper delivery.  Sadly I gave it up many years ago, too costly but I admit I do miss it.  When Lindsay was old enough to understand, we sat together and did the puzzles which was a lot of fun.  Retirement causes many of us to cut back, that's life.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

We only buy the Sunday paper for the coupons. 

We buy it at Dollar Tree.  The full price from the corner store is $3. 

I don't know how much the daily paper is.  Ours is part of the USA Today network of papers and the articles are a joke. 

Honored Contributor

Our mailbox is 1/4 mile away. We just do not think it is worth it. Can read it at the library. 

Watch the tv w/our am coffee-that is enuff news for us.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

Haven't gotten daily delivery in at least 10 years.  I was living in a rural area and there was a big drive and discount for the Washington Post delivery.   I got a subscription and everything went well for about 3 weeks.  After that, there was a problem finding carriers so half the time I didn't get a paper.  If I reported the non-delivery online, I might get a replacement for the missed day 3 days later.  

I now get Sunday delivery only.  I think the paper is $3.50 but its much less or free if they have coupons I use.  

Respected Contributor

I had called this year when I got my bill which had gone up over $100.00 from last year and told them I wasn't going to renew. They called aand offered last years rate so I renewed. I think next spring, I won't renew because I'm sure it will be over $400.00. I love reading it with my morning coffee and then doing crosswords, but just getting too pricey.

Trusted Contributor

In our area they stopped daily papers years ago.  I kept paying for the reduced 3 or 4 day delivery until a couple months ago.  It wasn't the money per se because our paper might have cost us $125 for the entire year  I was just tired of paying for something I didn't read.  I already have all of the reported news electronically the day before and ads I can also get electronically so unfortunately a paper copy is no longer necessary.

My husband is still not happy that I canceled the paper.  Not that he actually read the paper ever.