Honored Contributor

Latest experience in Ohio's Amish country *Mask thread*

Went yesterday to the Holmes county area of Ohio to do some bulk food buying and I know it is a travel destination for many in this general end of the country. I wanted to share with those concerned about mask wearing, what to expect should you visit. 

Many stores/shops, especially the smaller Amish only owned and run, had signs that basically stated 

"We don't wear masks here. If you wish to wear a mask you are welcome to, but we are not requiring it or refusing service without it. If you are uncomfortable being in an environment where masks aren't worn, you may want to shop elsewhere" .

I'm paraphrasing the above quote, but that was the intent and similar wording being used. 

Only saw masks on employees in the larger grocery/bulk food stores. All small shops I was in, no masks being worn by the Amish employees, and customers wearing masks in shops was maybe 75% at the most. Some of the small towns like Berlin, where the streets are packed and crowded, maybe 25% mask wearing outside, not enough room to stay social distanced. 

I know many are very particular that they be in an environment where everyone has a mask on, and Ohio has a state wide mandate now for masks, but this tourist attraction area has a very low compliance compared to what many of you are used to in daily outings, and thought I'd share in case you were considering a trip to the area.

Honored Contributor

Re: Latest experience in Ohio's Amish country *Mask thread*

When I lived up in Indiana we had Amish folk living around and close to us

I have great respect for them personally. They live their lives in a wholesome fashion and do it in a family oriented atmosphere.

They have their own beliefs and I'm sure see the way the world lives theirs and choose not to be 'of the world'.

I'm surprised they don't wear masks to protect themselves more.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why would they not wear masks,if it is a state mandate?Yes, lot of amish in southern indiana, bought many quilt tops from them ,years ago.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Why would they not wear masks,if it is a state mandate?

@goldensrbest Because they have a different way of life and different beliefs who they report to.  I don't think many people would be surprise that they don't wear masks.

So if you go, read the signs and stay, it's on you not on them.  

You can't depend on what other people do, so you can either go places and wear a mask and feel safe, or stay home if you think everyone has to wear a mask.

Laws or not, beliefs or not, it is what it is and not everyone will wear a mask, or not go into the woods, or taunt a bear, etc. etc..  Or not drink and drive, or speed. Or get a vaccanation, or have a mean dog or whatever.  But that's reality. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest Because they have a different way of life and different beliefs who they report to.  I don't think many people would be surprise that they don't wear masks.

So if you go, read the signs and stay, it's on you not on them.  

You can't depend on what other people do, so you can either go places and wear a mask and feel safe, or stay home if you think everyone has to wear a mask.

Laws or not, beliefs or not, it is what it is and not everyone will wear a mask, or not go into the woods, or taunt a bear, etc. etc..  Or not drink and drive, or speed. Or get a vaccanation, or have a mean dog or whatever.  But that's reality. 

Yes, i know ,but i wonder if it has to do with their belief.

Honored Contributor

If they had no interactions with anyone not Amish that would be fine.  You would think that they would show concern for their customers and all people.  They are not as kind and loving as most think.  We have many strict Amish where I live so... 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@goldensrbest 

There is an unrealistic view that the 'English' have of the Amish in this country. They are seen as salt of the earth kind of people, when in fact, they are quite complicated and not really what people think they are in so many ways. 

First, there are so many different orders, some very old fashioned, some more moderate in their ways, beliefs, and practices, so it is like any other group of people, hard to generalize without being unfair to the group as a whole. 

But in general, they see themselves as "separate"  from the rest of the world,and have an attitude that they don't have to follow laws that they deem not in line with the way they interpret the Bible and God's laws.

They have fought other basic safety and health issues (some orders have anyway) throughout time including installing and using septic systems (they just like to throw the chamber pot over the fence each morning), putting lights/reflectors on the buggies to be seen on the roads late at night etc. They don't vote, won't serve in the armed forces, and manage to get past a lot of other laws that the general population is subject to (like ending schooling at 8th grade). 

So while believed to be a gentle, passive group of people, they have a rebellious streak and a 'hard headedness' that shows if you know them well, and includes not following things like a mask mandate if they think they can get away with it. 

Honored Contributor

"You may want to shop elsewhere". 

And....with that attitude by the store owners, I would!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

And ,they do have puppy mills.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't be shopping in an Amish store for several reasons.  If others are not wearing a mask, I won't go near them.