Honored Contributor

Re: Last night was very difficult for me

Len and I are both being blessed by the kindness everyone on this thread has shown to both of us.

All of you have helped me more than you know,

I am sure some of you have already walked this painful path. I thank you for your goodness to both of us

Sometimes we are given a sign to comfort us. When his wife passed ,it was on Mother's Day. She had such devotion to the mysteries of the rosary and the Blessed Mother. I reminded Len of this when she passed

He said I have not even been able to think about that , and it brought him some comfort

All of you have given me comfort with your kind words and prayers

This year ends  with me knowing the world is still a good place, when strangers can meet, and share ,and care

Blessings to all of you

Frequent Contributor

What are the chances that you would have run into him ....YOU were supposed to be there where he was last night, and it sounds like you had just the right words to say to him.  I have been a nurse for 50+ years, and I think God gave you just the right words to say to him. Sometimes people say too much, and in my experience overthink what they say because they feel so bad for the person. Your response warmed my heart, and I think it was spot on.  He will remember those words all through his journey.

Honored Contributor

@cherry

I just wanted to add, cherry, that I think God put you in Len's path to ease his transition, sending one kind soul to help another.

Honored Contributor

I am hoping an praying that Len, because he paid it forward, will have surprise helpers to assist him as he journeys from this world.

God bless him and you.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@cherry

I don't know if you can tolerate doing it, but having watched my father die a slow and painful death when I was a teen, I know the one thing that was missing was friends who would take the time to come for just a few minutes and be with him.

When someone is near the end, and struggling, people don't want to see it, but sometimes it means so much to the people dying, and those around them, to have the support and presence, even if just for a few minutes, of people in their lives, and have it on a regular basis. 

Not many people are capable of doing it, because it hurts us to the core, both for them and for us, but is very important to do if and when we can. His family might greatly appreciate it.

@Mominohio

This is so true. More ppl than not, are very uncomfortable around the dying, and most certainly can be a very lonely time for the terminally ill. Just sitting with someone in silence can be comforting. Funeral homes and hospice care can be frightening and uncomfortable for most ppl, I do understand that too.

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I think he was waiting to speak  to the priest . We have a sacrament  that ill people can recieve. It prepares you for  what ever will come down the road.

I hope his journey is fast and easy, That is about all that is left for him ,I fear

What a wonderful sacrament, I hadn’t heard of it before, @cherry. I’m glad you had a chance to see him again.

Honored Contributor

OP, your words were perfectly said. I hope he heard and was comforted by what you said.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7  I'm sure you have heard of it by another name. They used to call it the Last Rites or Extreme Unction

Trusted Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@cherry

I just wanted to add, cherry, that I think God put you in Len's path to ease his transition, sending one kind soul to help another.

@QueenDanceALot@cherry

I totally agree 💚

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry, I was very moved by your post.  Consider the prayer request fulfilled.  We have all been touched by this horrible disease.  For me, it was my mother and my brother.  Your words were such a kindness to your friend.  Blessings to you.  LM