Respected Contributor

Re: Last night and 20/20 - who watched?

@Lotus wrote:

Muttmom.....maybe the state pays you to home school?   I know they provide curriculums and books....maybe they pay you too.   Think about it, they save a lot of money.

They said something about the daughter having special needs.  When they pulled up in front of the family home I caught a quick glimpse of her and looked like she may be Down Syndrome.

That mother must be the strongest women going.   All of the boys said it was because of her they survived.

You are right Lotus.  I remember they said the sister had a disability.

There are some interesting articles about the movie in Variety.

Respected Contributor

My heart ached for the deprived life of those innocent children.  It was like a prison encampment ....   rarely playing outdoors, and not having friends visiting.   So sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Every one of them has a job in the film industry (or so they said).  It even showed some of them at  work.

I swear they said 6 brothers and a sister.  No mention of the sister.  All the pictures only showed 5 brothers.  Where did they get the suits and sunglasses and all the other stuff they had?

So, one brother decides to leave the apt. one day and walk around the city and then comes home again?  Then, the others all do the same?  What happens when dad finds out?  Then, they invite people over and tell them they never had anyone in their apt. before.  They even filmed the show in the next room to the father and he never was shown.

So many questions.  The mother said their marriage took a 180 degree turn.  Whatever THAT means.  Is the documentary going to be on TV or in the movies?  I thought this was a very confusing story.  One of my DIL's watched it and she is a teacher.  Maybe she knows about the home-schooling.  They also said the father doesn't work either.  So, what are they living on?

They live (or lived) in public housing in an apartment with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.  That's a large apt.  For anyone living in NYC, it's on Broome St. - lower east side.

I would love to know more about the story if anyone out there knows anything?

Respected Contributor

When he was in the hospital he was in the psych ward at Bellevue, because he would never speak.

I wonder why they released him w/o having any information on him and how did he find his way home again?

I also wonder how he got out of the apartment because in the beginning to the show they said the father was the only one having a key and he would also put something in front of the door that made a lot of noise if anyone tried to leave.

How come CPS never got involved if there were kids in that apartment?

It was also mentioned they survived on welfare.    And BTW.....1000 sq. feet is HUGE for an apartment in NYC.

Lots of un-answered questions.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Regular Contributor

DH and I watch this and it was mindboggling!! I see how well the boys are doing but would llke to know more about the daughter.  Does anyone know about her and if she lives at home?  Is the father still around and what does he do?  So many unanswered questions but am glad we watched!!

"You never know when the last time is the last time."

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Honored Contributor

Yes there are just too many unanswered questions.

#1 - Currently some of the boys are still minors.  Why isn't CPS involved?

#2 - The "sister" is disabled.  Did she receive medical care?  Parents also receiving SSI for their disabled child?

#3 - Were all 7 children born at home or in a hospital?

#4 - Wasn't fully explained why the "mother" put up w/being "imprisoned" along w/her children.

Glorifying what those boys & their sister endured for all those years to me is shameful. Man Sad

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Elizabeth Vargas said they were all born in a hospital, but she was very vague in her answers on The View.  She really seemed annoyed - because she really didn't know the answers.  The whole story makes no sense.  She said they lived in a van before they got the apartment, yet nothing was said on the show last night.  Whatever happened to the father?  Where was he when the filming was taking place?  Where is he now?  What made them all able to just walk out and be "free"?

In the little bit I read from "Variety" the father doesn't like to work and is an alcoholic.  Who was paying for his booze, their groceries, clothes, etc...  Why couldn't someone send word to a neighbor or someone, anyone.  It took 14 years for all this to come to an end????  When the brother was released from Bellevue, where was he released to?  They just opened the door and let him go?  He didn't even have his address, he just knew what the building looked like.

As my DIL would say - "there's a hole in this story"....

Respected Contributor

@sophiamarie wrote:

Elizabeth Vargas said they were all born in a hospital, but she was very vague in her answers on The View.  She really seemed annoyed - because she really didn't know the answers.  The whole story makes no sense.  She said they lived in a van before they got the apartment, yet nothing was said on the show last night.  Whatever happened to the father?  Where was he when the filming was taking place?  Where is he now?  What made them all able to just walk out and be "free"?

In the little bit I read from "Variety" the father doesn't like to work and is an alcoholic.  Who was paying for his booze, their groceries, clothes, etc...  Why couldn't someone send word to a neighbor or someone, anyone.  It took 14 years for all this to come to an end????  When the brother was released from Bellevue, where was he released to?  They just opened the door and let him go?  He didn't even have his address, he just knew what the building looked like.

As my DIL would say - "there's a hole in this story"....

Last night they mentioned and showed the van they lived in.

The father was still in the apartment and sharing a room with his wife.  All but one of the boys spoke to him.  Apparently there'd been a shift in power once the first boy left. They were then able to come and go. ABC said the father chose not to speak with them and remained in his room.

The hospitalized boy could read street signs.  He said when he left the apartment he kept it in sight but I imagine as he wondered he learned the street names.  He didn't give the police any information because he was taught not to talk to strangers.  I do not think he said he was silent the entire time he was in the the hospital. If he'd remained silent he probably would not have been released.

Esteemed Contributor

This article answers some of our questions.  Very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/movies/the-wolfpack-brothers-step-out-of-their-world.html?_r=0

Esteemed Contributor

I just watched the beginning again, just to hear what Vargas said.  She said "they survive on Welfare and the money she earns home-schooling"

I have never heard of anyone getting paid to homeschool their kids.  

So, one day the kids just decided to "take over" and it worked.  They still live in the apartment (except for one son who saved enough money to move) and the father stays in his room and doesn't talk to anyone except one son.  

I think by now, they will have earned enough money to get their own place.  Especially with the large family of the mother's.  This documentary should bring in plenty of money for them.