Valued Contributor

Re: What Was The Last Kind Gesture Someone Did For You...

Being rather short, it can be difficult to get things from the top shelf of a grocery store, but I can usually find a "tool" of some sort and fish down what I need. The other day I was in Walmart and the SunChips I wanted were on the top shelf. There was a tall young man standing there so I asked him if would mind getting the chips for me. He said sure and as he handed them to me, I said thank you and he gave me a big smile and said you're welcome. It really brightened my day because he seemed sincere.

Minkbunny and Irshgrl31201, I loved your stories - what amazingly thoughtful people you have in your lifeSmile

Respected Contributor

Not so much a gesture as something said. I went to go see an old high school friend who's a guitarist that I haven't seen in over 40 years. He told me I looked almost the same (although I know he was just being nice). And he also told me I was really good on keys back then. Both comments made me feel great.

Respected Contributor

On 9/20/2014 bluegrassbaby said:
On 9/20/2014 Marienkaefer2 said: One of the secretaries at school brought something I printed from the printer to my desk Sounds trivial, but the printer is all the down the hall, and she saved me time and steps on a busy day. Smiley Happy It's the little things. Smiley Happy

That's what it's all about Smiley Happy

Yes! And I made sure to.thank her, and to pay it forward the next time I had the chance. Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

What Was The Last Kind Gesture Someone Did For You...

One of the goalies in my Adult Hockey League, who played in my league for 8 years, moved to the Twin Cities, his home town.

Before he left he wanted to meet with me and talk about hockey and things. During that visit, with his fiance there also, he really surprised me.

He presented me with a ring the size of a Super Bowl ring. In it he has the shield of my favorite hockey team, the New York Rangers, except in the shield was the name of my hockey league. This is surrounded by shinny stones with my name engraved on it also. He had the year I started this league and the year 2014 on it. It also included crossed hockey sticks with a bit W in them.

This goalie also made a pendant almost exactly like this for my wife so that she could wear it on a necklace or bracelet or whatever she chooses to do with it.

To say I was shocked to be presented with these beautiful pieces of art, that we can wear, is an understatement. He works in the jewelry field and takes orders from high schools/colleges and pro sports teams and make rings and everything jewelry for many of them.

Now this goes way beyond a "kind gesture" for sure.

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

I live with my 85 year old day and help take care of him.

He knows that I have a lot of pain in my back and neck and each night he rubs icy hot on those spots for me.

Honored Contributor

I got a ride home today.

went to a food tasting party at DD house today. DH who brought me to my DD house had to take one of the girls grand daughter to a b-day party so he had to leave me at DD house. there was a couple gals who came to the party and were going up north after the party and they were kind enough to let me bum a ride with them. It saved a lot of driving for DH so he didn't have to drive back south and then back north.

Super Contributor

Nice thread and a good way to end the day. Thanks to all who shared and to the OP for reminding us that people are good.

Esteemed Contributor

When I retired last year I was departing the Navy, DoD, as a Civilian employee. When civilians retire, you usually get together with department friends, go to lunch, if the commanding officer allows it and then return for cake.

Well, the Operations Director was bound and determined that I would have a full blown Navy send-off, just like they give retiring military. And that's exactly what I received. It was very moving. My husband was asked to read "The Flag" and a favorite physician officer read another piece that I can't remember. The Chaplain also spoke and the Admiral spoke, as did several Chiefs of Surgical departments. It was very humbling. Then they did the flag: folded it into a triangle, walked it up to me with gloved hands, passed it into my hands, saluted me, then did an about-face and at that point I was in tears.

There was much more to the ceremony and after party. But it was that they thought enough of my efforts and end results in physician education that just bowled me over. Very grateful. Very humbling.

Honored Contributor

While I don't think the poster of the other thread about good deeds meant to sound boasting, this is a far better take on good deeds since it's not about what we did and how it made us feel good but rather how others did a kindness for us.

Respected Contributor

Last week, as I was exiting off of the interstate, there was a man standing on the side of the road holding ''the sign''...help, need food, etc. I gave him some $....and for those who will want to brow beat me and say he'll just use it for drugs, here is my response to that - in advance: Maybe , just maybe he'll use it for food....Whatever he uses it for, I've done my part - the rest is between him and God.