Honored Contributor

Re: Las Vegas bans grass lawns

@Cakers3    Can you tell us where you live?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@patbz  Would astro turf be ok?

It would be so hot to walk on. Plus people have been know to steal it from your yard.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Cakers3    Can you tell us where you live?

@Kachina624   Texas, Bexar County.  The Edwards Aquifer is one of the largest artesian aquifers in the world.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3   San Antonio area?  You mentioned aquifer; we get our water from one also so I wondered.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 We lived in the Hill Country for many years. San Antonio had a pretty good conservation program 10 years ago. I do not know if they have been able to maintain the aquifer water level with the growth that has occurred.

Do they still have watering restrictions that get more rigid as the water level drops? I know there was way too much grass in our area. I thought maybe some of the newer areas might have eliminated that. Do they still catch and store flood waters in an underground area?

Esteemed Contributor

Long ago we had rationing of water, think each house got 3 flushes a day - leading to all the Mellow Yellow.....

Some came to sorrow when they put bricks in the tank to do DIY low-flow.

Then along came OPEC and the jokes about putting a brick in the gas tank.....

When will we ever learn?

Honored Contributor

Are there golf courses with grass in Vegas? Wonder how that will play out?

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 @patbz This is succinct and correct.  I would only add that the use of chemicals to maintain lawns has contributed to the decline of butterlies and honey bees.   Another side of the water shortage is the litigation to require sharing of water in the Great Lakes through pipes similar to that used for oil.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden : There are currently many golf courses in L.V. but of course they shouldn't be there when there are water restrictions ( that will last forever). Golf courses are like swimming pools in that our tastes must change or be taxed out of existence!

Honored Contributor

I know for a fact that there are many golf courses in Las Vegas, as well as in the part of CA where I used to live. We residents were forced to cut way back on our landscape irrigation, including our backyard gardens, while the golf courses watered twice a day. 

Grass is the biggest waste of water, in an area that doesn't get  summer rains.