Honored Contributor

I think the university knew.  There were too many complaints.  

I just wish the father of one of the girls who tried to attack Larry Nasser could have gotten at least one punch in before he was subdued.  I wanted to hit him myself.  He deserves it, and more.

i absolutely got tears in my eyes when I heard the young ladies talk who were violated.

Honored Contributor

My DDS is the mildest man ,and I have never seen him so upset, as he was today

Whatever was in that letter ,will come back to haunt Mi State. I can see the donations drying up as I type this

He said he can't even watch the Olympics ,because of all of this mess

Honored Contributor

I am constantly astounded by the number of intelligent, educated people who exercise such poor judgment, as in knowing something is happening and looking the other way or actually committing an offense themselves.  They act like they dont have a brain in their heads.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't understand how at least some of the parents of these 300 girls also didn't know, or at least suspect.  Out of 300 girls, surely some of them must have told their parents?  Didn't some of the parents at least complain to the school?

I don’t know about parents complaining to the school - I would think so. But some girls told their parents and were totally DISbelieved by them. I have read that one father, whose daughter told him, told her he didn’t believe her. When it was all publicized and proven, the father killed himself. I do not feel sorry about that, and the girl may not either.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Haim Ginott wrote something in one of his books, it was a forward, I think, and it went....

It said to the effect, never forget it was the educated elite that  designed the ovens and the gas chambers...they were the ones that engineered the final solution

He was such an inspiring man, he wanted  educators to teach children kindness, because it seems ,they aren't always taught it at home

Respected Contributor

MSU will be hurting in their pocketbook......who will be donating big bucks after this debacle?  I certainly don’t think every administrator was “in” on it...but there certainly were multiple people who knew the complaints had been made, and obviously appropriate measures weren’t taken to investigate.  

I feel sorry for the students there.....they will be the one to suffer as the money dries up, not the bigwigs....they will make sure their salaries are intact.  My granddaughter is a junior there....glad she is almost done.  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

Today while at my DDS ,he brought this character up. He was visibly upset. He is an alum of the college, that this person worked for

It seems he got a letter from the president of the college, saying something to the effect ,the school had to protect itself from lawsuits, and things to that effect

He is such a nice man, and a father, and grandfather, and devoted husband, he was  just irate.  He said those young girls had their lives ruined by this man ,and the uni stood by and did nothing

He an his wife ,and family ,are all devout Christians,  and not in name only. He was just appalled at this.  I am bringing this up because, I know he is telling the truth about the letter

He said he couldn't believe, the president ,who is female, could be so heartless and cold

I asked him if he thought they knew what was going on, and he told me he was sure they must

I haven't followed this , because it was so disturbing. I asked my DDS if he felt that the people knew ,and covered it up. He said of course they knew...

Do you think these people even have a conscience  ?

@cherry  It makes me nauseated to think about this. One news report said that many times, mothers were in the exam room & were not aware anything “wrong” was happening. Just sickening!

Honored Contributor

Everytime there is a scandal at one of these big universities, they go into cover your behind mode. They need to keep that money coming in, no matter the cost.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Michigan State is a huge university, we can't blame the entire college.  If the girl's own parents didn't know it went on in front of their eyes, any complaint had to be hard to prove.

Everyone has learned a lot from this horrible case, one can never be too careful.

Some parents knew, and some even reported. Nothing was done.

If the parents, who were responsible to protect their children, didn't take action thy are just as guilty. Seems they cared more about their child winning a metal. If, as they claim, they reported it and nothing was done, they could and should have pursued it, demanded something be done. Threatened to make it public if nothing was done.

Regular Contributor

Re: Larry Nasser

[ Edited ]

@cherry the current university president isn't a woman. Here's todays letter.

February 13, 2018

Interim President John Engler

Letter To MSU Campus Community

"To the MSU campus community:

On this second day of my second week as interim president, I think it is important to address several matters many of you have raised with me.

Everyone knows the Nassar case is an international story. As he begins serving his sentence in a federal prison in Arizona, we are all still struggling to comprehend the extent of the damage he inflicted on so many girls and young women, and on their families.

Questions about how this could have happened and what must be done to prevent it from ever happening again are the subject of multiple inquiries. At the federal level, the U.S. Department of Education is conducting a Clery program review, the U.S. Senate has requested information, and the U.S. House of Representatives has two inquiries underway. The NCAA also is seeking information from us. In Michigan, the House of Representatives is requesting production of documents and the Attorney General’s Office, at MSU’s request, is conducting an investigation.

Add to these an accreditation agency inquiry and an ongoing blizzard of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, and the volume of compliance deadlines Michigan State University faces is daunting. Last week alone, we turned over data equivalent to some 45,000 pages of documents, emails, and other materials to William Forsyth, the independent special counsel who is heading the investigation for the Attorney General’s Office.

MSU is committed to cooperating with all official requests, and I’m grateful for the cooperation that faculty and staff have given the General Counsel’s office and the law firms that are assisting the university.

While the investigations are ongoing, activity in lawsuits representing well over 100 survivors continues to move forward. I’m following the progress closely as we work to return to mediation and, I fervently hope, a just resolution that helps the survivors bring some closure to this horrific chapter in their lives. Michigan State, too, needs to heal and to emerge a stronger institution, one where safety, respect, and civility are hallmarks.

That is not a new expectation. The University Policy on Relationship Violence & Sexual Misconduct states from the outset: “Michigan State University is committed to maintaining a learning and working environment for all students, faculty, and staff that is fair, humane, and responsible—an environment that supports career and educational advancement on the basis of job and academic performance…. Relationship violence, stalking, and sexual misconduct are not tolerated at Michigan State University.”

It is a privilege to call ourselves Spartans, one that carries a responsibility to adhere to standards of behavior, on campus and off, that should be well understood by all.

We know from Title IX reports that a large proportion of our sexual assaults happen on campus, that all too often those involved are familiar with each other, and that alcohol consumption is often involved. We can do better with our campus relationship climate, and I’ll continue reaching out to people and groups in the days ahead for advice and suggestions that can move us toward the kind of campus we all want to be associated with.

Finally, I viewed with great concern a recent ESPN report that gathered considerable national attention in no small part because it showed a promotional graphic of our head football and men’s basketball coaches with Larry Nassar. This was a sensationalized package of reporting that contained allegations and insinuations that we are now reviewing. The coaches were asked to refrain from comment while the reports were examined. That has been a burden that must be lifted. I hope that MSU can soon respond in full and affirm the integrity and probity that has been the hallmark of these two respected coaches.

It isn’t easy to live under a microscope. I’m proud of how so many members of the Spartan community have expressed concern for the survivors in so many ways. I’m pleased—but frankly not surprised—by the willingness of so many to commence the hard work of making real change in order to achieve an environment that truly is fair, humane, and responsible. To that I would add safe and civil.

I’m fully aware that there is a lot of work to do and not much time to do it. I appreciate your support as we together address the urgent tasks in front of us. Because this is how Spartans show their will.

Sincerely,
John Engler
President"

detroit.cbslocal.com/2018/02/13/interim-president-john-engler-letter-to-msu-campus-community/