Honored Contributor

Landmark of Jazz, "Rhapsody in Blue" Debuts February 12

[ Edited ]

It was February 12, 1924.  Imagine the nervousness of Geroge Gershwin over his revolutionary composition, that fused jazz and classical elements in a totally new way.  How would concert goers react?

Most highbrow critics were skeptical of jazz, which had been brewing among African American composers and musicians since the first years of the twentieth century.  Jazz could only have happened on American soil, where these men brought, and absorbed, elements of blues, African rhythms, European folk tunes, ragtime, pop ballads, into an entirely new art form.

George Gershwin had a kind of superannuated "antenna" for musical forms and themes-- it was his genius to bring all the swirling, clanging, swinging elements together in one brilliant composition.  Listen to even just a few minutes of Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic performing, and put your morning on a roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=cH2PH0auTUU

P.S.   Critics and audiences alike in 1924 went bonkers for "Rhapsody in Blue"!

Respected Contributor

Re: Landmark of Jazz, "Rhapsody in Blue" Debuts February 12

I love Rhapsody in Blue.  Thanks for the link. Do you remember when United Airlines used part of it in one of their ads?   Awful. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  Perfect melding of composition and orchestration.

Cogito ergo sum
Super Contributor

I love Rhapsody in Blue. Our high school band played it, couldn't believe the clarinet part!  Our second clarinetist played it, as the first clarinetist played the piano solos. I had the bassoon parts, wasn't so hard. As a former clarinetist, I can't imagine playing it.

At one time I had a recording we'd made, but it's gotten lost over the years. Wish I still had it.

Honored Contributor

@summerwind, that would be a treasure!

Respected Contributor

True genius. The world lost Gershwin way too young.

But, still,

wrote:

It was February 12, 1924.  Imagine the nervousness of Geroge Gershwin over his revolutionary composition, that fused jazz and classical elements in a totally new way.  How would concert goers react?

Most highbrow critics were skeptical of jazz, which had been brewing among African American composers and musicians since the first years of the twentieth century.  Jazz could only have happened on American soil, where these men brought, and absorbed, elements of blues, African rhythms, European folk tunes, ragtime, pop ballads, into an entirely new art form.

George Gershwin had a kind of superannuated "antenna" for musical forms and themes-- it was his genius to bring all the swirling, clanging, swinging elements together in one brilliant composition.  Listen to even just a few minutes of Leonard Bernstein and the New York Philharmonic performing, and put your morning on a roll!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=cH2PH0auTUU

the treasures he left.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

It's 2018 and I still go bonkers. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Astoundingly moving. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVE Rhapsody in Blue.

My favorite part  starts at 10:40 in the video.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it's so "dreamy" there, isn't it, @lulu1!