Honored Contributor

Re: Lamar Odom’s massive $79000 bill now Khloé Kardashian responsibility: update

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

I hope someone who is more knowledgeable about kidney/liver transplants can answer this question. If someone is in a position to buy an organ, isn't that something that is typically transacted outside the organ registry? If Lamar does buy one from someone ready to trade body parts for money, that wouldn't really keep an organ from someone on the registry, would it? Just looking for some info here.

Buying an organ is illegal in the United States.

Wow!  People don't know that?  

Yes, and even if he were able to buy an organ he couldn't have the surgery done at the hospital.  No reputable doctor would perform a surgery with an illegal organ.

Couldn't one of them donate a kidney? 

It's not like a sweater.

SMH 

Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lamar Odom’s massive $79000 bill now Khloé Kardashian responsibility: update

@sidsmom wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@MaggieMack wrote:

I hope someone who is more knowledgeable about kidney/liver transplants can answer this question. If someone is in a position to buy an organ, isn't that something that is typically transacted outside the organ registry? If Lamar does buy one from someone ready to trade body parts for money, that wouldn't really keep an organ from someone on the registry, would it? Just looking for some info here.

Buying an organ is illegal in the United States.

Wow!  People don't know that?  

Yes, and even if he were able to buy an organ he couldn't have the surgery done at the hospital.  No reputable doctor would perform a surgery with an illegal organ.

Couldn't one of them donate a kidney? 

It's not like a sweater.

SMH 

Smiley Very Happy

Did someone say it was? 

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@brii wrote:

He needs a kidney?   You can live with one kidney.

I read he had many, many strokes.

I wasn't sure so I Googled it. It seems while most of his organs have improved his kidneys haven't.  It looks like fans are offering to donate a kidney so I guess if he needs them they're available.

They might have a tough time finding a kidney for him.  He's a big guy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brii wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@brii wrote:

He needs a kidney?   You can live with one kidney.

I read he had many, many strokes.

I wasn't sure so I Googled it. It seems while most of his organs have improved his kidneys haven't.  It looks like fans are offering to donate a kidney so I guess if he needs them they're available.

They might have a tough time finding a kidney for him.  He's a big guy.

@brii

You bring up a good point.   Good matches/successful transplants are based on size/weight of the recipient.  Lamar is beloved within his basketball world...makes sense someone of those unusual height/weight would be a good match. 

Donor story:

Back in 2007, an ex-Dallas Cowboy, Ron Springs, needed a kidney transplant.  One of his former teammates, Everson Walls, donated one of his kidneys.  Eight months later, Springs was in surgery to remove a cyst on his arm, fell into a coma & eventually passed in 2011.    I remember everyone talking about it back in 2007.  At least Mr. Walls gave him 8 special months of life.  ETA: Everson Walls (L); Ron Springs (R)

image.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom, they match organs by size first. 

When my mom was considering a liver transplant, that's what the team said they take into consideration first - size.

I don't remember the Springs story.  Sad.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@June222 wrote:

I doubt multi millionaires or Billionaires pay for health insurance... they just pay cash and get the same lower rates and probably lower with better care than any average American who pays for health insurance.  The rich can buy kidneys such as what Lamar will probably do to get on top of the waiting list  while someone else will die while Lamar gets THEIR KIDNEY. Same thing if Lamar needs a new Liver. He will buy himself to the top of the list just as  Steve Jobs from Apple did several times... They get the new body part........ and the average person who needs it and is waiting for it fairly dies. MONEY TALKS.

Why would you doubt that millonaires or billionaires have health insurance? Lol! SOrry, I just have never heard anything so odd. Most, not all but most millionaires don't get to be one by wasting money like that. Why in the world would a rich person NOT have insurance and decide to pay for every medical bill as opposed to buying a good policy? That makes no sense to me.

ITA. Rich people have CPAs and lawyers that help them shelter their wealth. One way is to make sure that they are fully insured.

I heard a radio guy once say that he was "self insured" and didn't believe in any form of insurance - he thought that REAL Americans go it alone and take on their own risk.

But he is the rare exception - and when he fell ill with complications of his addiction, it was discovered that he DID have insurance after all!

When I was studying for my insurance license, I learned about self insurance funds - they are basically nice tax shelters...but they ARE a form of health insurance.

Contributor

why is this posted on QVC blogs and forums????????????????????????????

Esteemed Contributor

@lynnebeme wrote:

why is this posted on QVC blogs and forums????????????????????????????

Probably because it is a current story all over the news and people here would like to talk about it. I don't get your question. The same reason anything is posted here, because someone had an interest in it.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I imagine he has medical insurance, but an astronomical deductible.  Because of his lifestyle, or I should say profession (basketball) he is a higher risk. 

I am sure Khloe will pay the bill.  That's not exactly chump change, but I am sure they will pay it and more to hush up a bit.  JMHO

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.