Honored Contributor

Lady Lucan Gives First TV Interview About Famous Murder and Missing Husband

Years ago, I think Dominick Dunne wrote in Vanity Fair about the famous case of Lord Lucan, the British playboy aristocrat who committed murder in the Seventies and then disappeared.

Lucan was considered so dashing he had been considered to play James Bond.  He ran with a very fast set in London, and had a troubled marriage.  Purportedly, one night he meant to murder his wife, but tragically murdered the lovely young nanny instead by mistake.  He then fled.  Lady Lucan maintains he threw himself off a boat crossing the Channel.  Others say they have spotted him in various places around the world, leading a life under a pseudonym.

It has been insinuated that some of his friends in the racy aristocratic clique he belonged to, may have helped him escape.  I find mysteries like this endlessly interesting.

It's just my opinion, but he does not seem like the type who would commit suicide out of remorse.  But who knows?   Any opinions?

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/810372/Lord-Lucan-wife-Lady-Lucan-murder-nanny-disappearanc

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lady Lucan Gives First TV Interview About Famous Murder and Missing Husband

@Oznell

These types of stories scare me - but it's so fascinating.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell If he was that impulsive to kill, then he may have taken his own life.  I do love a good intrigue though!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

That's a good point, MickD, that I hadn't really considered.

Honored Contributor

Another aspect that is bizarre, is that supposedly after the killing of the nanny, Lady Lucan begged, "Please don't kill me, John."  So they had some sort of conversation before he left, and at one point he cautioned her about the spectacle of the poor dead nanny and said to his wife, "Don't look".

He wanted to spare her feelings, but he had been intending to kill her?!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I had all but forgotten that 'mystery'.  Always thought the nanny was better looking than the wife.  Maybe she was with child or put pressure on him to divorce and marry her. 

One has to ask, why did he disappear?  Takes money and help to do so.  As if in so caled royal family lines there's isn't any immorality, crime, or cowardice. 

Never thought he was good looking. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

i read the story in vanity fair some time ago and can't believe he's never been caught.  he's either dead or has had some really extensive plastic surgery imo.

Honored Contributor

Trying to remember-- I think Dunne even hinted in the article at names of possible London socialites who may have helped Lucan.  Why they would in these circumstances is beyond me. 

With enough capital, I believe that notorious individuals can "go underground" for lengthy periods of time, altering their identity and their looks.  It would be great if some day there was a definitive resolution to this and other confounding crimes like JonBenet, and the guy who jumped out of an airplane with stolen loot.

Oh wait, I'm thinking that they might have solved that airplane one.  The guy's name was what, D.B. Something?