Honored Contributor

Lack of information about diamonds they are selling

They have a diamond band ring on today for $1500. Before I would pay that much for a ring I would want to know about the clarity and color ratings for the stones I was buying. Nothing about that here. Why would anyone buy this from here when , if you go to a jewelry store they will gladly furnish you this info for each stone ordered.You usually don't even have to ask, they will just tell you.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lack of information about diamonds they are selling

I would want that information also before buying. 

Trusted Contributor

I know during the presentation they don't usually mention, but under the description of the item it usually shows the color and clarity.  The band ring I believe you are referencing shows it is H in color and VS clarity.  Obviously the only way to know for sure what you are getting is to get it appraised.  If it doesn't meet expectations, I'm sure they would take it back and pick up the shipping tab.  I know I have ordered jewelry in the past that was far from what was promised and I was given a full refund.  Fortunately, I am working and cannot watch therefore I cannot be tempted by pictures on the internet.  Have a great day and enjoy the shows!

Trusted Contributor

Anyone who buys QVC jewelry .....is not a serious jewelry buyer. It is junk. Over priced junk.
Respected Contributor

@June2 wrote:
Anyone who buys QVC jewelry .....is not a serious jewelry buyer. It is junk. Over priced junk.

I won't go so far as to say that all of QVC jewelry is overpriced junk but much of it.  However that is true of the jewelry that all shopping channels sell.  Care for some black spinel, anyone....lol   However, when it comes to QVC's high end diamond jewelry, I would never buy it because other than telling us it's pretty or bright or ready for the red carpet; they tell us nothing at all about the diamonds.  So, you don't know what you are buying.  It's not like ALL diamonds are created equal.  I don't watch many jewelry shows but it always irked me to no end in the past that when QVC sells real gold jewelry, they never give us gram weights.  How can you buy a piece of gold jewelry if you don't know the gram weight?  That's the first thing I want to know when I buy gold.     

Honored Contributor

151949 wrote:

They have a diamond band ring on today for $1500. Before I would pay that much for a ring I would want to know about the clarity and color ratings for the stones I was buying. Nothing about that here. Why would anyone buy this from here when , if you go to a jewelry store they will gladly furnish you this info for each stone ordered.You usually don't even have to ask, they will just tell you.

I've always found it odd that they didn't provide this information - either in presentations or in their online descriptions.

Other similar type vendors, and online stores, usually do have this information automatically available.

Now, I have to say that back when QVC carried a lot of quality merchandise you could get great quality fine jewelry, gems, and diamond pieces.  

I have this cute little pair of diamond stud earrings with 7 tiny stones in the shape of a flower.  This was very shortly before they named their diamond line Affinity.  They had them for a time after that, too, with the Affinity name on them.  Anyway, the ones I purchased before that point are quite beautiful with pretty, clean, white little diamonds in them.  I still enjoy those.  

I wouldn't buy any diamond piece there now, though.

Honored Contributor

I agree. I wouldn't buy investment-grade diamond or other precious gemstone jewelry from the Q. I have to see what I'm getting, and have more information about it. I'm more likely to take a chance on sterling silver or costume jewelry. But because of the punitive return policy, l have to be really sure l love the item!
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Don't we all buy diamonds without asking any questions?LoL!  I can't imagine doing that but I guess some QVC shoppers are buying first asking questions later. Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

Though sometimes I think that there are a lot of people out there who aren't interested in heirloom quality jewelry pieces.  I don't mean this as an insult at all so please, no one take it that way.  Its just my observation about different generations.  My mom, who would be in her late 60s now, loved high-quality, high-price jewelry and her pieces were lovely and amazing.  My generation, the Gen X-rs are more inclined to buy things that aren't to be handed down from generation to generation.  Its not our thing.  I pretty much consigned a lot of my moms pieces or gave them to special people who loved them and on occasion, we auctioned them off for help with animal care for different organizations.  The items that QVC offers are nice but I think pretty much most people don't care if it is the high end things. 

Now a few pieces like the SB turquoise ring today for $1200 would be nice to have and handed down but again, I don't think people buy it for that.  Its more of I buy it because I like it and want to wear it. 

I think its a bit rude to call it junk since many people like it but then some people have no filter either. 

Honored Contributor

I heard the Affinity Diamond guy on this morning describe a diamond ring using Clarity grades, etc.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*