Trusted Contributor

Re: Lack of information about diamonds they are selling

I will say that I bought the posh pink diamond ring that JTV was selling about 7 years ago, I think it was.  I love that ring and the diamonds were really nice and such a pretty soft pink set in gold.  I don't usually buy gold but I liked the ring in the gold and am glad I did.  I really get quite a few compliments on it too.  I don't remember the grade since I'd have to dig out the receipt and its buried in my boxes of receipts somewhere.  The price was excellent though. 

Honored Contributor

These are not graded diamonds.  Diamonds are so common.  As common as dirt.  They are artificially held up cost wise.  As a result, even "dead" diamonds can be expensive.  The ones on the Q are very small.  You won't see large 1/2 caret and up etc.  there.  On QVC, the bulk of the expense is in the gold. Gold is worth more then common little diamonds.   Even 10K If a diamond is set in gold, it more then doubles the price, had it been set in silver.  Never mind the quality. 

Honored Contributor

Some of the diamonds on the website look like beach sand.

It makes me so sick when I see all the gold watches with diamond 'accents', it's more like diamond accidents.

Don't junk up a gold watch with sand, you're not gilding the lily, you're killing the lily!

Respected Contributor

someone on here raved, sang praises about a diamond heart silver bracelet on hsn. at the time it was $150 marked down from $299.  sounded really great.  waited until price dropped more and ordered it. got it, louped it, the diamonds were all single cut, every single one was included, clarity I3 (they said I1 - I2) on a thin flimsy double chain, like those cheezy vendor chains. and i do not consider H-I to be near colorless!

i've seen better light refraction in diamond sandpaper grit!

but the reviews are glowing! if its diamonds, who cares?  someone will buy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
Irshgirl is so right when she posted people aren't buying diamonds like they used to. Read an article recently that the diamond industry is concerned that their sales are down. I guess people either don't have the money or they choose to spend it elsewhere. Or maybe alternative stones are being used for engagement rings. I understand the diamond industry is going to mount a big campaign. Off topic a bit: There are some stones that are not practical for everyday rings. Just too soft-they break off or crack. Notice the Q never advises people of that. Those Columbian emeralds sold on gem day should be saved for special occasions. And to respond to another poster's comment about diamonds being "common," I wonder how she could explain the compliments I always get about mine?
Honored Contributor

I happened to see about a minute or 2 of a presentation last night of an Affinity ring with Rick.  It came in your choice of either 1 carat or I believe 3 carats and was a band ring.

In the short time that I watched, the vendor said that all diamonds were guaranteed to be at least H in color and VS in clarity.

I don't know if he meant just for specific pieces or all Affinity pieces.

My SIL owns some pieces.  Some are nice, some are dreadful.  None of the pieces she owns have substantial settings at all.  In fact she owns a halo ring I'd be afraid to wear because the setting is so dainty.   

Valued Contributor

I stopped buying jewelry from the Q as soon as prices took a big leap. I did buy diamonds from them back in the day. One piece I bought is a beautiful heart pendant. It is a fixture around my neck. The quality is excellent. I also bought a ring that is very nice. I bought it on the recommendation of zacca, a former poster here, and a jewelry maven.

The prices have more than doubled since those days. I'm glad I bought my pieces when I did. I wouldn't trust what's being sold now.
Honored Contributor

I have an Affinity diamond cross set in SS - it is pretty, it sparkles. It cost $99. I have the heartbeat necklace from Evine. Tiny blue diamonds.It is cute and it does sparkle. It was $66. For those prices I don't need to know anything except that they sparkle. But for $1500 I expect to be well informed.

Honored Contributor

I will never understand why some care how others choose to spend their money.  While I would not spend $1500 on a diamond ring from QVC, others would and do.