Honored Contributor

Re: LOUSY IMAGING CENTERS ALL OVER MY AREA. I had no idea this was so prevalent.

@vsm wrote:

It's always a good idea to ask your doc to reommend a good imaging place, instead of picking one on your own just because it's convenient.

Just be forewarned that some facilities kick back money (or favors) to doctors who recommend them. A referral from your physician may be more to a facility that rewards him instead of necessarily being the best facility. There's a lot of mutual backscratching that goes on in medicine when testing and such is ordered. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: LOUSY IMAGING CENTERS ALL OVER MY AREA. I had no idea this was so prevalent.

@gardenman wrote:

Just be forewarned that some facilities kick back money (or favors) to doctors who recommend them. A referral from your physician may be more to a facility that rewards him instead of necessarily being the best facility. There's a lot of mutual backscratching that goes on in medicine when testing and such is ordered. 

The "Anti Kickback Statute" is suppose to prevent this from happening. There is also the "Stark Law" which is another version of the kickback one.  I guess these laws aren't enforced as they should be. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

That's not a good feeling.  My doctor is part of a great medical hospital.  She is in one of the clinics outside of the main hospital but any tests I have needed have always been at the main hospital in the radiology or ultrasound departments.  She sends over the referral so I do nothing but confirm a date/time.