Honored Contributor

Re: LOL what does it mean to you?

[ Edited ]

It's funny, but just now I came across a "LOL" on a current thread here in CC that had me scratching my head. It was the response (with nothing else added) in a thread whose subject matter was not particularly funny.

I think in this case it was used to mock  either the subject matter or the very nice comment preceding it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@Nancy Drew as many others have replied, LOL is a short for "laughing out loud."  As to what intent the person used it for is a hard thing to tell.  That's the bad thing about texting or online messages.  Things get taken out of context. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3@Nancy Drew@Equuleus@suzyQ3@Diva on The Q@DiAnneHopefully, no one every thinks my emoji's are mocking or sarcastic in nature. I use them strickly in humor and playful ways. In fact, you should ALL know when I'm very serious about something by the tone of my post! I get straight to the point and spell out for all to read. Don't hide behind sarcasm or anything else when I have a point to make. In most points, I'm simply here to have fun and, yes, I'm typing with a smile on my face! I'm basically a very happy person doing stuff that is enjoyable. If I didn't enjoy talking on these Forums, I certainly wouldn't be here. LOL (That was my chance to use it! No sarcasm at all. Just a real laughing out loud.) <big grin>

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Laughing Out Loud as what I mean when I type it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nancy Drew

To me it depends on the person and the conversation.....For the most part it means Laughing Out Loud and used for sarcasm or to be snarky if there's an opposing view............. But on the other hand it could mean (this is so funny) or if the conversation is civil, and its just a matter of opinion, it could be to keep a deep topic light hearted (like does this all really matter in the scheme of things--or we have two opinions and neither will change their mind even though we are keeping the conversation going and going)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

“Laughing Out Loud” (LOL) is used so inappropriately that I often see the writer as a kind of nut case, wildly laughing at something that isn’t even funny.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is rude to another poster